Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(API) - addin for short calculation elements detection

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda
7493 Views, 14 Replies

(API) - addin for short calculation elements detection

Short elements \ short caclulation elements are one of then possible reason of instability type 3 warnings .

This addin finds short elements in model.

It can be easy added to Add-Ins menu by Add-Ins Manager

Rafal Gaweda
Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Very nice! 🙂

But first I must do the "Edit > Intersect" to make it work correctly. It would be nice to have and option to only check distance between adjacent nodes.
Too bad it doesn't work on 2D frame models. Throws an error when there's bar without material. 😉

Thanks!

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Message 3 of 15

But first I must do the "Edit > Intersect" to make it work correctly. It would be nice to have and option to only check distance between adjacent nodes.

NO it is not required. It is required to run Model Generation or addin does it for you

shelemn.jpg

Too bad it doesn't work on 2D frame models. Throws an error when there's bar without material. 😉

2D models are so simple so one can find such bars easily.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 15

"But first I must do the "Edit > Intersect" to make it work correctly. It would be nice to have and option to only check distance between adjacent nodes.

NO it is not required. It is required to run Model Generation or addin does it for you"

We are not talking about the same thing, let's say I have something like that on attached images.

First I intersect whole model, then use ShortElements to find drawing errors.

I am exploiting your app for my own twisted purposes  😉 

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

Message 5 of 15

We are not talking about the same thing, let's say I have something like that on attached images.

This is related to Model Generation settings - these bars are not connected to sloped bar.

You can force program to do so this way:

modsh.jpg

or intersect by your own as you wrote

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 15

Yes, but your app gives me some sort of "warning" if I am not in defined parameters, and that's what I was looking for.

Mirko Jurcevic

Message 7 of 15

Updated addin

VS 2010 project attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

The short elements addin has identified some short calculation elements which are giving me type 3 instabilities.  Now that I know this is the problem, how do I solve it?  How can I change where the calculation nodes are generated?

Thanks,

Stefan

Message 9 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Find the real nodes positions and move them in the way to get rid of these short elements.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

The real nodes were all in the right places.  Looking at the location of the calculation nodes I found that the problem ones were where I had applied point loads to beams.  I've solved the issue by deleting the point loads and recreating them without ticking "Generate a calculation node at the point where a load is applied".  This gets rid of the instabilities but am I likely to be causing errors by not generating calculation nodes at the location of point loads?

Message 11 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda

Do you still have the file with not corrected loads = giving instabilities?

If so , please send me.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Sorry, I don't have the model any more.  The instability was one in a very long list of other type 3 instabilities which I've been working my way through.

Message 13 of 15
sergey.churilov

Add-In was instaled through Add-In manager and Robot is started, but the add-in gives me message "Robot not started"?

What to do?

Message 14 of 15

Message 15 of 15

Hello,

How to do this? I tried on google but didn't find anything about it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report