Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchorage Length based on Eurocode - RC Beams - Provided Reinforcement Module

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
kope
2857 Views, 18 Replies

Anchorage Length based on Eurocode - RC Beams - Provided Reinforcement Module

Is there any posibility to check/see the procedure implemented in Robot for the calculation of anchorage length based on Eurocode provisions? 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: kope

Robot follows:

8.4.3(1)-(3),

8.5 (stirrups)

The bar capacity (maximal force in bar) looks like this:

bar anchorage.png

In case the length of a hook is above 5 * bar diameter Robot applies 8.3(3) + 8.4.2 to limit the maximal force to Fbt assuming bent diameter according to the table 8.1N

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 19
kope
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

thanks for your reply.

The procedure seems right but I guess it is too simplified, (please note the help states that the figure you have shown applies to the Polish code and I was refering

to Eurocode).

I guess that it would be extremely useful to allow the user with the posibility to adjust the critical parameters for the development length, such as the mandrel diameter

and confinement by transverse reinforcement since these two may lower the length of the straight segment before the bend, providing that the rest of the parameters

(cover, spacing) are properly considered in the program once the rebar arrangement is done.

in particular, my concern is related to anchorage of longitundinal bars into the beam-column node. I did a very simple example consisting of a RC beam framing into

two columns (please find attached the model). All rebars are 16mm with hooks at one end only. 

I noticed that there is basically no diference between bending capacities of the two ends (see the second image).

In both cases (left and right support) appears that the anchorage length is developed without considering the hook.  This approach leads to

a great deal of additional reinforcement nearby supports which is not effective nor realistic.

The hook length is in direct relation with mandrel diameter by means of eq. 8.1 of EC2. which basically means that you can provide any hook if you are

properly taking care of mandrel diameter. Further on, Figure 8.1 (a) applies for any rebar shape measured along the centerline. Figures 8.1 (b,c,d)

are just shortcuts applicable to standard cases.

For instance, considering a C25/30 element, a 16mm rebar with a mandrel diameter of 7D(112mm)

and a spacing of 90mm the capacity of the bar Fbt before hook would be around 35kN (40% of its entire capacity). Assuming an anchorage length of

750mm, the straight segment would be 0.6*750=450mm, which means the bar is capable of developing almost its entire capacity at column face, which

is not the case Robot is showing. And I dont know how to control the program in order to get better results.

Beam reinforcements and detailsBending Diagrams

Message 4 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski

I noticed that there is basically no diference between bending capacities of the two ends (see the second image).

In both cases (left and right support) appears that the anchorage length is developed without considering the hook

I have made a quick test to check the influence of the hooks by reducing the anchorage lenghts of the rebars (I moved the suupport 20 cm outwards keeping the reinforcement as it had been defined by you) and I can see the difference.

hooks vs no hooks.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 19
kope

Thanks for your reply

I guess the bending capacity droped to zero on the right support because you're now below minimum anchorage length (8.4.4.1).

Now, try to increase the anchorage length by 2cm only for the top right  middle bar and you'll notice a sudden jump in

bending capacity, which is overall now only 25% less than the left support!!! and only one (out of the three rebars) is modified. 

Starting again from your model, try to extend the anchorage length (by any! amount) for the outer two on the right support and you're going to end up

with ZERO bending capacity... 

I guess something wrong there, don't you think?

Message 6 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski

I'll try to investigate this next week.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 19
kope

great! thanks.

Message 8 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski

The initial conclusion is that in some situations for calculations of anchorage capacity of a rebar Robot attributes a rebar in tension as being under compression. If this happens there is obviously no influence of the defined hook. The development team will work on this situation.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 19
kope

thanks for the reply! Smiley Happy

I didn't specified there any seismic conditions, just to keep things as simple as possible. The top rebars nearby supports are subject to tension only. 

So, this is not the case here. 

As a side note, my humble opinion is that  Eurocode 2 is wrong about longer compression vs tension anchorage, since BS,

ACI and other sound references indicates the contrary. So I guess it would be extremely useful if Robot could handle such

a delicate issue by means of providing the user with the posibility of adjusting the significant parameters (mandrel diameter,

etc..) in order to obtain a resonable rebar arrangement to real world problems.

This whole anchorage thing may pass as an unimportant issue, but to the knowledgeable R/C designer it makes the diference

between a good or a bad design. It's really worthwhile investing some time into this situation.

cheers!

Message 10 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski

The top rebars nearby supports are subject to tension only. So, this is not the case here. 

Yes, it should not be but as i wrote "The initial conclusion is that in some situations for calculations of anchorage capacity of a rebar Robot attributes a rebar in tension as being under compression" it actually may be Smiley Happy

We are still investigating this issue.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 19
Artur.Kosakowski

I didn't specified there any seismic conditions, just to keep things as simple as possible. The top rebars nearby supports are subject to tension only. 

So, this is not the case here. 

Yes, it should not be but as i wrote "The initial conclusion is that in some situations for calculations of anchorage capacity of a rebar Robot attributes a rebar in tension as being under compression" it actually may be :smileyhappy:

Edit: Can only be in the situation when cd is exactly equal to 3 fi (so indeed not a case here).

As a side note, my humble opinion is that  Eurocode 2 is wrong about longer compression vs tension anchorage, since BS,

ACI and other sound references indicates the contrary. So I guess it would be extremely useful if Robot could handle such

a delicate issue by means of providing the user with the posibility of adjusting the significant parameters (mandrel diameter,

etc..) in order to obtain a resonable rebar arrangement to real world problems.

This whole anchorage thing may pass as an unimportant issue, but to the knowledgeable R/C designer it makes the diference

between a good or a bad design. It's really worthwhile investing some time into this situation.

After making the full check on your example:

EC requires longer design anchorage length in case of a bar with a hook  then for a bar with no hook as due to larger alpha2 value:

do.png

It so happened in your example that the left side capacity  (with hooks) looks almost the same as the right one (no hooks). If there is no hook then l_bd = 0.7304m and the full capacity is reached at x = 0.770m (see the blue line on the diagrams below):

d1.png

with 90 deg hook with its straight length being 0.08m (5*fi16) then l_bd is 0.920 m and he full capacity is reached at x = 0.865m.

d2.png

Due to the stress limit at the start of the bend Robot takes into account only straight length of a hook limited to 0.149m therefore setting its value as 0.3m doesn't change the results and the full capacity is reached at x = 0.796. which is similar for no hook situation (x = 0.770m)

d3.png

For your suggestion - we are not planning to introduce a way of overwriting EC provisions .

From my point of view I'm considering this situation as explained Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 19
kope

Just got back from vacation. Thanks for putting so much effort into this matter.Smiley Happy

and thanks! for all these clarifications, they're very useful.

Eurocode leads to some huge absurdities like the one we're getting here (longer development length in case of rebars with standard hooks

918mm, than simple straight bars 740mm). So, I guess it all comes down to everybody's own engineering judgment

when facing such situations. That's why the posibility to overide some constraints here and there may provide the advanced

user with the oportunity to come up with a realistic design from this very stage.

I don't want to push this discussion any more further but I would really like having few more parameters - and I'm talking

here just about legal ones Smiley Happy (such as mandrel diameter) which could be very useful to take full advantage of the 

reinforcement module since all of us have to deal with real world problems after all.

Message 13 of 19
MarkkuKantelinen2842

Hello,

I don't understand the results I'm getting from my models with RC beam design module. Capacity diagrams start to generate at the face of the support, like it's telling me I have an insufficient anchorage length even tough my hand calculations tell otherwise. If I increase supports width enough, capacity diagrams start to behave like I would expect them to do and rebars tension capacity start at the beginning of the bars - not at the face of the support! Here are results from a simplified case I manually calculated to be ok, but which from Robot I got warnings concerning insufficient capacity for moment and shear. I'm having this problem with most of my models. I'm confused is there something in the eurocode that I'm not aware of or is the problem in my models.. Help would be greatly appreciated! I also attached the model.

RCbeam_moment_diagram.PNGRCbeam_shear_diagram.PNGRCbeam dialogs.pngRCbeam_calc_anchorage.png

Message 14 of 19

ancorage1.png

Based on the approach as above Robot calculates sigma_sd from the below formula:

anchorage2.jpg

which means it is equal to the design resistance of steel

Lbd_req = 97cm

and

Lbd-min = 29 cm which is larger than the support width minus the cover measured form its origin.

When you increase the number of calculation points from the default 11 you will see that the diagram starts about 3-4 cm from the support face.

My understanding is that you calculated sigma-sd using formula (6.18) at the face of the support:

anchorage3.jpg

whereas Robot uses the approach described in 9.2.1.3 instead:

anchorage4.jpg

Looking at your approach I'm wondering if actually you shouldn't calculate sigma_sd  also in points along the first part of the span (beyond the support face) till the location where the steel if fully used and see what value of Lbd_min you get.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 15 of 19

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

Based on the approach as above Robot calculates sigma_sd from the below formula:

anchorage2.jpg

which means it is equal to the design resistance of steel

Lbd_req = 97cm

and

Lbd-min = 29 cm 

I don't understand why I should use the design resistance of steel at that point, because "at the position where the anchorage is measured from" sigma-sd does not equal fyd. Besides wouldn't lbd req: ( 20mm / 4) * (434Mpa / 2,7Mpa) = 80,5cm and therefore lb,min = 24,1cm? So I would still have lb,min at the support of b=300mm?

Let me make  another presentation of my calculations:

beam anch_01.png

So using this method I see that I indeed would need to increase my anchorage length so I decide to try to increase support width to 380mm.

beam anch_02.png

So besides calculating "the additional tensile force in the longitudinal reinforcement due to shear" 0,5Ved(cot theta / cot alpha), but actually taking also the tension force from the bending moment into account at the side of the support I start to get closer with Robot's results. I still wonder why bending moment capacity diagram reaches it's full capacity at 1,2 m. 

beam anch_03.png

Message 16 of 19

It seems that you use C25/30 in your hand calcs but you set C20/25 in Robot.

concrete grade_1.pngconcrete grade_2.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 17 of 19

Somehow I had a feeling there was something like that going on.. I should have noticed that! Smiley Happy However I managed to learn something in the process and I'm now satisfied with the results I'm getting from beam design module. Thank you for your help!

Message 18 of 19

Hello,

I'm dealing with the same issue. Is there a way to force robot to consider lbd like in the image?

The reducion of the capacity moment near the support makes me have to consider to much unnecessary reinforcements.

Message 19 of 19

Why does that happen ? Why the moment is getting down at the support ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report