Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AISC 341-05 seismic design.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
bjur
1125 Views, 9 Replies

AISC 341-05 seismic design.

I'm getting ready to try the ARSA seismic design functions on a large project and wanted to check things out first on a simple frame.  When I run the steel design checks, the calc shows only checks for AISC 360-05.  On special concentric braced frames, it shows additional checks at the bottom for the slenderness and other more restrictive requirements.  For special moment frames, ARSA seams to ignore that I have asked it to design the beam as a special moment beam under AISC 341-05.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: bjur

I have modified your model creating seismic cases and combination 28 and the additional check is done.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10
bjur

Trying to figure out what you did to make it work.  It looks like you ran a full dynamic analysis to make the seismic design checks AISC 341-05 to work.  Is it possible to have ARSA do these checks under normal static loading?  If so, how?  What does ARSA need to perform these checks?

Message 4 of 10
bjur
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

How can I perform these checks on a simple 2D frame with a single point lateral (seismic) loads I enter manually.  Say I have a square frame 10ft wide by 10ft tall.  Lets say I have a 5kip lateral load (seismic) on one of the top nodes.  How do I get ARSA to check the AISC 341-05 requirements for these columns.  I know it's not that big of a deal to check these by hand, but ARSA can apparently automate this for me.  Some buildings we do are simple and don't warrent a full dynamic analysis or using the built in "Equivalent Lateral Force Method".  Its easy to do by hand and apply the loads in ARSA.  Everytime I do this, however, I can't get the program to check AISC 341-05 requirements for columns and beams that I have asked ARSA to do.  Thanks for your help on this.

Message 5 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

At the moment this is not possible but I fully agree with what you wrote and  I will discuss this with the development team.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 10

Please install SP1 for Robot 2014.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10
B.Pascall

Is there a similar service pack for RSA 2013 which can use AISC 341-05 seismic design check in the analysis of 3D models (beams, columns, braces). The exact same thing happens when trying to get the program to perform the checks in the AISC 341 code. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. URGENT!!! 

Message 8 of 10

I'm sorry but there is no similar fix for Robot 2013 available.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10

Thanks alot Artur, we will have to upgrade our subscribtion very soon I suppose. Just to be clear from the previous posts, does the service pack 1 for 2014 allow us to perform the check for AISC 341 under static conditions?

Many Thanks

Message 10 of 10

The SP1 for Robot 2014 addresses only the issue with simple cases or manual combinations of seismic type. I'm not aware of any issue with running the code checking according to this code for other situations.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report