Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A problem while Exporting model from ROBOT to REVIT

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
2724 Views, 18 Replies

A problem while Exporting model from ROBOT to REVIT

Hi all,
I work in an engineering office where Autodesk products are not well known. Lately the senior engineer suggested moving to Autodesk products. In order to do that, Architectures are using Revit architecture and structural engineers will have the responsibility to make analytical models. After making analytical model the model is moved to Robot so we can analyze and design members. After finishing the design of each member we will update the model in Revit.
The procedure written above was done.

Every time we updated the model this message appears: “Rebar is placed completely outside of its host”. I tried it many time in different examples and the problem still happening.
I hope you can help me.
Regards,

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
tony.ridley
in reply to: Anonymous

It's basically to do with the way that your beam family is set up in Revit.   See in this picture the blue line is defined outside the shape (user defined beam family). 

Capture2.JPG

Compare with a beam exported from Robot, the sweep line is at the centroid. 

Capture3.JPG

This is why the reo is going outside the beam, as the reference line is in the wrong place. 

Tony

Message 3 of 19
in reply to: tony.ridley

Thank you for your help 🙂

|Infact what i am talking about differs somehow; not only reinforcemnt is not within the host, Indeed reinforcemnt lies in places where beams are not existing. You can figure what i am talking about by looking to the attached picture.

Waiting to hear from you,

Regards,

Message 4 of 19
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: 1102078

Send us your example revit file.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 19
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Kindly find the attached simple 3D model for a frame system (columns and beams- No slabs). This problem is general; simple model or any other complex projects I work on have the same problem. the attached model can be analyzed on robot under self weight only since I did not define any load to the frame system. when trying to export this model to robot and backward to Revit the same problem previously explained happened.
Regards,

Message 6 of 19

Dear Rafal,
I sent You the model that I talk about yesterday. Hopefully you can discover the problem so I can make a progress in the workflow between Revit and Robot. 
Thank YOU 🙂

Message 7 of 19
Rafal.Gaweda

I will look at it.

Do not worry.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 19
Rafal.Gaweda

This situation for multispan beams

multispanrevit.jpg

Bug...

Workaround: design spans separately (one span beams) or delete wrong reinforcement in case of multispan beams designed in Robot in Revit

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 19

Thank you so much 🙂

Message 10 of 19

Dear Rafal, 
While I am exploring videos about the integration between Revit and Robot I found this one:               
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TD4ZSWBqjs
In this video and exactly at 3:00, I found that beams reinforcement were exported from Robot to Revit and the results seem to be correct; i.e. reinforcement lies on their host beams. The Video did not mentioned anything about bugs and what I conclude that it is possible to have the integration between Revit and Robot without any problem. 
MY QUESTION: Is the bug You mentioned is related to 2014 version? or the bug is general for any edition of Revit? If the answer is that the bug is general and not only for 2014 version so how the tutorial contain clean results? 
Thank You 
Note: Attached to my reply a .jpg picture from the mentioned video

Message 11 of 19
Rafal.Gaweda

I happens also in 2013 version

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 19
duchoabn

Dear All

I have same problem, Pl see my image below

rsa thep ra ngoai.jpg

Pl help me to fix this problem

Thanks all

Message 13 of 19
Netinai
in reply to: duchoabn

Problem still unsolved in 2015 !!

bug.PNG

Message 14 of 19
obadapo

rafal gwada, on many ocassion u av bailed me out on the use of robot, even though u dont know me, please man give us a solutuion on this problem of bars been placed completely outside its host when transferring reinforment from robot to revit....its a big let down

@Rafal.Gaweda wrote:

I happens also in 2013 version

Message 15 of 19
kevokim
in reply to: obadapo

The problem still persists in 2017.Rebar completely out of host.

Message 16 of 19
KamenSlavnin
in reply to: kevokim

The problem persist in all releases but depends on the way you define the beam in Revit. If you create a multispan beam using only one beam element (all spans having same section) the reinforcement is transfered correctly from Robot. However, if you need to model multispan beam having different properties in each span then the reinforcement is transferred as many times as the number of different beam elements you have used to create it. It seems that the whole reinforcement of the multispan beam in Robot is assigned for each span in Revit. Until this case is resolved it would be easier to model the reinforcement in Revit than transfer it from Robot.
Message 17 of 19
yasseen.abuzer

Anyone has found an answer? 

The problem still occurs in 2018 version

Screenshot (37).png

Yasin Abu Zer
Message 18 of 19

same problem here, its disturbing and it wont the serve the process that it reduces the labour of drafting

Message 19 of 19
joakim.k97

From what I've found is that geometry is different in Revit than in Robot.

Because if you model lets say a beam that is cast-in-place on top of a slab. The beam doesn't really have any "real" supports with a specific width.

And when you run the calculations in Robot, you have to define a support width for the anchorage to be possible. This means that your theoretical length is now changed and not exactly what it is in Revit. So when your calculations are done and you are ready to send it back to Revit, remember that your calculations is done on a beam that is lets say 400mm longer than the actual beam in Revit. Since there seem to be no connection or logical connection between changes, the beam is exported faulty and Revit has forgotten it's location.

But however, if you design a simply supported beam in Revit, you have to make sure that your cut-length in Revit must be the same as the span length in Robot. 

To conclude everything. There seems to be no idea to analyze and calculate a whole beam-column system in a building if you do not know exactly the width of all supports etc and make it thorough. Otherwise it will be placed outside its' host.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report