Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Model for Lateral Stability Investigation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
351 Views, 4 Replies

Simple Model for Lateral Stability Investigation

Hi,

I am investigating the torsional response of a building due to lateral loading. I have made a model that adresses Horizontal Loading Only (!) which includes the concrete core elements and rigid diaphragms. My intent was to put cladding on the edges, apply the wind simlulator and see how the structure reacts, however I am having trouble getting my cladding to work. I have attached a copy of the model that has two loading cases: 1. line loads on the slab edge and 2. cladding elements with uniform pressure. Load case 1 seems to be working well but load case 1 is not. This implies that I am not using my cladding elements correctly. Can you help address this?Perhaps this model is too simplistic for Robot? 

Thanks,

JB

Access Model Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6uua4de8pe81gc/Simple%20Model%20for%20Lateral%20Stability%20Investigation...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Claddings transfer load to bars, nodes and edges of MESHED panels - not diaphragms.
http://help.autodesk.com/view/RSAPRO/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-2F6BADFE-F90B-46AA-97F8-227926DB9A7C

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks for clarifying Rafal. I thought the one direction cladding elements just divided the pressure into the appropriate line loads. We were attempting to avoid too many mesh elements to reduce the amount of time it took to run our model, at least initially. Would you suggest another method, other than a coarse mesh?

Regards,

JB

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

I thought the one direction cladding elements just divided the pressure into the appropriate line loads.

Of course it is like that, but internally this generated load is a trapezoidal type load and such load type does not exist for panels.

Would you suggest another method, other than a coarse mesh?

Coarse mesh and claddings or linear egde loads on diaphragms edges without claddings

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Good to know. The linear edge loads cannot be created by the wind simulator, as far as know, so I guess coarse mesh is our only option. Thanks the helping with this Rafal.

Cheers,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report