Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 1 of 6 (362 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to create Beam to CIP Wall Connection

362 Views, 5 Replies
11-07-2012 12:24 PM

I would like to detail in a 3d connection (steel plate and all) of a Beam to a concrete wall. I have the " Steel Connections" extension from Autodesk and it is missing this ability. Is there anyway to create this connection?

Valued Mentor
AJA14
Message 2 of 6 (350 Views)

Re: Unable to create Beam to CIP Wall Connection

11-07-2012 11:28 PM in reply to: sta

You could either create a callout, and use detailing to get what you need, or you would create a drafting view and do it as you would in autocad, using 2d drafting. Still waiting on Autodesk to improve this area.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 3 of 6 (343 Views)

11-08-2012 06:12 AM in reply to: sta

So there is no way to model this connection three dimensionally? Has anyone ran into this situation and found an extension, plugin or work around?

Valued Mentor
AJA14
Message 4 of 6 (339 Views)

11-08-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: sta

to do it as a 3D model element, you would have to export to ASD or TEKLA, do the connections theri, and import them back to revit. I haven't personally done that, but I know people who have used tekla for this, and I went to an Autodesk seminar and asked this question and his answer was to use ASD (Autocad Structural Detailing).

Ali Al-Hammoud
Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 5 of 6 (334 Views)

11-08-2012 07:30 AM in reply to: AJA14

Thanks AJA14, I tried to use ASD yesterday to create this connection but ran into many problems ( first time using it was  most likely the main problem). Do you know if when you import the ASD connection into Revit does it show up as a 3d object or is it a 2d cad file? Also I am assuming it does not have any information that can be attached to the object if so.

Valued Mentor
AJA14
Message 6 of 6 (298 Views)

11-21-2012 11:43 PM in reply to: sta

Hi. anything you export to ASD or TEKLA will come back in 3D. However, another option would be to buy SDS/2 connect and use it. It is an add-in for revit but it is expensive (1500 dollars). However, it is available for free trial for 30 days. I suggest you install and try it and it may be what you're looking for. Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.