Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timber Piles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2981 Views, 4 Replies

Timber Piles

Can anyone tell me how to create a timber pile or round timber column? Family?

Thanks,

A.H.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you know how to create a family to begin with? You have to draw a circle in plan view and then extrude it for starters. Then you have to define a few parameters (diameter and length), and then tie your existing 2 dimensions to those, so that the "cylinder" will "flex" when you change the dimensions. You might want to consider making the diameter a "type" parameter (choose from a table) while the length is an "instance" parameter (freely adjustable within a project).

Next would be to add a material parameter for wood. I notice that you can select different types of wood (or use one to create your own custom variation), but you'll have to program in the material properties for each different wood type. Good luck to ye! 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thanks Bob, As you guessed correctly I'm new to Revit. I've had limited success in creating families. I've created some turned-down-slabs & footing steps & with your advice I was able to create the wooden pile. But what I'm unable to figure out is how to make the pile length a variable. I bought a book that's has 448 pages, but only less than a page dedicated to families. If you could walk me through the process that would be great. Either way thanks for you help. Ashby
Message 4 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Anonymous

Ahhh well elsewhere on this website are family editor guides for both Revit Architecture and Revit Structural. I think the Structural one is from 2010 but looks and acts pretty much like the latest. I downloaded both to my PC for reference.

If you imagine working in good old orthographic projection (top, front and right side), you would define a reference plane in the right side view (also, name it). Next you dimension it. Next you edit the dimension to give it a label. In the label drop down you define a new parameter. This will be for length. When you define the parameter, click the radio button for Instance Parameter. Make sure the dimension is locked to the reference plane. Then make sure the extrusion length is defined as being to that parameter and not a fixed length. Next is to test it by gong into the family properties and changing the value of that length, and seeing if the extrusion adjusts to the new length (if not, then there is something not tied together like it should be). The reference plane should "flex" with the change in the parameter, and the extrusion should do so too.

If the paramater was made an instance parameter, then when you insert the family into a project, it should come in at the default length. But if you select one, then you should be able to overwrite the length in the properties browser, and it will change length. You can have many instances all at different lengths in your project this way. I hope that helped 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Bob, Thank you so much. I haven't inserted it into the project yet, but it passed the test. I'm actually working in acad right now. I'm 61 & I was hoping to avoid Revit, but we have a big project about to start (by contract it has to be in Revit) so I've been trying to do some old projects in Revit when I have some spare time. Thanks again. Ashby

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report