Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel weights in a Beam Schedule

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Barryfisher
4854 Views, 8 Replies

Steel weights in a Beam Schedule

Hi

I've created a Schedule/Quantities for steel beams which gives me a count, size and length but i also want a weight for each beam for the given lengths...

Not 100% sure how to get it..

Please help

Cheers Barry

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KSI_Thor
in reply to: Barryfisher

there are previous posts on this issue. You can total the CF of steel. But then you have to insert the formula to calculate the weight.

Weight = volume / 1 * 490

Message 3 of 9
buck1017
in reply to: KSI_Thor

This is a major matter of contention. Are you running Revit 2010?

Message 4 of 9
KSI_Thor

I'm running 2009, 2010 and 2011

Message 5 of 9
KSI_Thor
in reply to: buck1017

I don't understand your issue. Revit claculates the volume of steel in cubic feet. The density of steel is 490 lbs per cubic foot. I believe you have to insert the volume/1 * 490 because of the units that Revit uses. But it should work fine.

Message 6 of 9
buck1017

My issue is this:

The way to do steel tonnages is the length times the weight per foot. I just did a real quick 20x40 building and calculated the weight by hand, then I had Revit calculate it. Revit was low by 5%. That doesn't sound like much, but given the size buildings we do, that is a difference of several tons. We also take our tonnage and increase it by about 10% to account for connections and misc. steel. As such, most of our estimates are right on. If we use this formula, our estimates will be somewhere around 5% low. I guess my issue is that Length times Wt per foot is so simple, all the parameters are in the program, and it's not available to use.

Message 7 of 9
KSI_Thor
in reply to: buck1017

I agree that this should be addressed. In the formula that I stated above, did you use cut legnth of member or the actual length. When doing it by hand you do not use the actual cut length of the member. Depending on your member weights, this could be a significant difference in the total tonnage.

It is an industry standard in this country to calculate steel weights and not volume. It is also an industry standard to use the TOP of footing elevation and not the bottom, but Autodesk has yet to address that issue too.

Message 8 of 9
phoulx

Also check for rounding mis-calcs.  In your schedule props/formatting tab, see if the default Cubic feet rounding of 2 decimal places is still being used.  Switch it to 4 decimal places and you'll get a drastically different number. 

The totals that the schedule generates are about the same either way but the rounding really shows up in individual beam volume.  When my beams were listing as the same CF even though there was a 6" variance, that was a red flag to the accuracy.

Message 9 of 9
archis84

I do like this: mass = cut length x cost. And in ''cost'' I give the value kg/m of the element, of course you can use/make any other parameter, but I am to lazy for that. And I wonder why revit does not have such important (kg/m), main paramater for columns, beams, rebars and so on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report