Revit Structure

Distinguished Contributor
DParkRMAK
Message 1 of 4 (449 Views)
Accepted Solution

sloped wall opening

449 Views, 3 Replies
09-20-2012 03:04 PM

Hi, Revit structure 2013 -  I have several sloped walls that I created with the mass wall tool. I need to create openings in these walls so I created a void form in my mass object then created my walls. The void is created perpendicular to the face of the wall but when I create the wall the opening top and bottom is parallell with the floor plane. Is there a way to keep it from doing this? I need the hole to be perpendicular to the faces of the wall.

I tried to use the opening by face tool but I am unable to select the face of the sloped wall.

Hi DParkRMAK,

If you want to add an opening on the sloped wall, you can create another in-place wall component to cut the sloped wall:

1.Click “Home”- -“Component”- -“Model In Place”, set Family Category as Wall

2.Click “Void Forms”, create a void as the opening, before doing this, set the sloped wall face as Work Plane (Pick a plane)

3.After finishing the void, click “Modify”- -“Cut”- -“Cut Geometry”, select the sloped wall firstly, then select the void.

4.Click Finish

Or in step 2 in model in place editor, you can try click “Opening”, then select the sloped wall when asking to pick the host, then draw the opening, click Finish.

Thanks.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Product Support
lanl
Message 2 of 4 (428 Views)

Re: sloped wall opening

09-24-2012 06:54 PM in reply to: DParkRMAK

Hi DParkRMAK,

If you want to add an opening on the sloped wall, you can create another in-place wall component to cut the sloped wall:

1.Click “Home”- -“Component”- -“Model In Place”, set Family Category as Wall

2.Click “Void Forms”, create a void as the opening, before doing this, set the sloped wall face as Work Plane (Pick a plane)

3.After finishing the void, click “Modify”- -“Cut”- -“Cut Geometry”, select the sloped wall firstly, then select the void.

4.Click Finish

Or in step 2 in model in place editor, you can try click “Opening”, then select the sloped wall when asking to pick the host, then draw the opening, click Finish.

Thanks.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Lei Lan
DParkRMAK
Message 3 of 4 (404 Views)

09-26-2012 07:59 PM in reply to: lanl

Thanks, That did the trick. I had to do the same thing for the top of the wall because it also defaulted to parallel with the floor plane.

I had tried this solution before but what I was missing was selecting the object to be cut while I was in the model in place mode. I didn't think I was able to select other objects and it wouldn't let me create just a void. This should work with the rafter cut question I Posted before.

Thanks

DParkRMAK
Message 4 of 4 (381 Views)

09-28-2012 03:45 PM in reply to: lanl

Why doesn't this same method work with beams?

With the wall I was able to select the wall to do the void cut while I was in the model in place space but with the same procedure I am unable to select beams.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!