Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple North Arrow Challenge

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
dan.fisher
1018 Views, 2 Replies

Simple North Arrow Challenge

I am trying toi create a simple north arrow family in which the rotation of the arrow is a parameter that I can set.  This is  what I have done:

1.  Used Generic Annotation template to creat a north arrow symbol family.  Just some lines and text centered on  the reference plane cross.

2.  Used a second generic annotation template to create a second family.  I inserted the north arrow symbol family into this second family and centered the symbol on the reference line cross.  I then rmanually rotated the symbol 45 degrees.

3.  Created a "Rotation" parameter and set it to a value of 45 degrees.

4.  Added an angular  dimension of 45 degrees and assigned the rotation parameter to this dimension.

Problem is  when I flex  this north arrow, it rotates about the center of the arrow graphic, not the center of the reference plane cross.  Any attempts to align  the arrow graphic to the reference planes forces the arrow to be vertical or horizontal.  I am doing  something wrong but I do not see it.

Dan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dan.fisher

If you draw an invisible line across the extents of the Family and make sure that the midpoint of that line lies on the origin point, this will define the center of the geometry for the rotation to the origin point. This line should be of the <Invisible Lines> Subcategory and turned off as well, and it must extent past all other elements in the family, including the margins for the Text. Alternatively, you could draw an invisible circle, instead.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
dan.fisher
in reply to: dan.fisher

Thank you.  That is indeed a simple answer that solves the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report