Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save sheet to new file settings?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
DParkRMAK
1689 Views, 3 Replies

Save sheet to new file settings?

Are there settings somewhere that control the save to new files export? Similar to export to DWG settings?

I would expect that when exporting a sheet of details in Revit to a separate file that the exported details would have the same line styles as the parent but they don't. All the standard line styles change color and line weight when I export them. I guess this is the Revit defaults but how can I change this to our customized settings for export?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
alan.quinn
in reply to: DParkRMAK

Line Style of the Host file (where you are coming from) will be overwritten if the same Line Style exists in the file where you are Inserting > Insert from File. This is expected and the application is working as designed. See the attached images for details. To address this you will have to change the Line Style in the file where you are going, or purge out the lines prior to Inserting and then Insert from File

I hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 4
DParkRMAK
in reply to: alan.quinn

I first noticed the line changes when I opened the the exported file and the line colors were different. I just tested this out and when I insert them into a new project made from the same template as the file I exported the drafting views from, the  line work shows correctly. It seemed like I had to do an extra step to make the line work match the file I had exported from which seemed kind of redundant. I just need to make everyone who is looking at the exported detail files aware that, when inserted into a project, the line work will appear correctly. It isn't a huge deal to import our standard line styles to the exported detail sheets but it is an extra step that, as it turns out, isn't necessary.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Message 4 of 4
lionel.kai
in reply to: alan.quinn

I hate that "working as designed" boilerplate. The problem with the "Save to New File..." is due to Revit using the <None> template settings (instead of the source projects settings), BTW. And yes, inserting the views into another project will take that project's settings, and since that's usually the reason for saving out a view or sheet, this USUALLY becomes a non-issue. However, why would anyone DESIGN software to change settings when you save something WITHOUT NOTIFYING YOU. If anything, the option should read "Save to New File using <None> template settings..." if that is how it really was "designed to work".

In any case, here's the Idea to fix the issue: Save to New File... should keep the project's settings

Lionel J. Camara
BIM Manager at KAI Hawaii, Inc. - Structural and Forensic Engineers
Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report