Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Vs. ProSteel

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
StudyParticipant-3731
1698 Views, 1 Reply

Revit Vs. ProSteel

A question for structural designers out there.  Would anyone be able to provide some insight on Revit Structures Vs. ProSteel V8i?  I would mostly be interested if anyone has used them both and what upsides or downsides there are to each of them from your experience.  I would be mostly interested in the steps involved in the creation of 2D drawings in Revit and how the 2D cuts are linked to the model.

If anyone would be able to provide some insight that would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I have not used prosteel but can throw some light on your Revit queries.

Revit has the capability of generating 2D drawings as extracted from AutoCAD., the only difference is that the basic extraction of details comes from the model. Revit maintains a single database for example if you model a steel column with base plate and foundation, this steel column will have some properties attached to it like its Type, size, material, etc. When you cut a section through it or on a plan you will be able to see the 2D output and also will actually be able to select the 3D model element in section view also. once selected in section it is by default selected in all other views(bidirectional). You can access its properties in any of the views and also enter information in any views, it updates for all views automatically.   

Once the section is cut we can use annotations to detail the section and also use tags which can read the information from the element properties and display the information as annotation text, For example if you add a tag to the column to display its size and at a certain point the column size changes the tag would automatically read the new size and update the size annotation in the section view.

There are lot may things that Revit is capable of doing, though I should say there are some constraints. Constraints in the sence what we have made it for ourselves. From years we have been working the way of AutoCAD and now trying to impose the same way of working, standards on Revit, which is not the way it should be, as we are constraining ourselves from doing things differently.

Positively in the coming years we will have an efficient way of working with Revit and standard that meet our requirements.

Also let me know if I have answered you question and if you need to know any thing else.

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat
rnbhat1@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report