Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Sweep Profile Issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
TTrschmitt
1193 Views, 12 Replies

Revit Sweep Profile Issue

I have created a parameterized profile family to use in a sweep.  There are several closed loops, but they are never inside of each other.  (for example, 3 circles controlled by a radius and then a parameter of 6*radius controlling the center to ceter distance between them) I brought the profile into a family and used it to create an extrusion.  It creates the extrusion, but once the profile parameters are linked to the family parameters and I try to flex them, any change breaks the extrusion with a "cant make type" error. If I reduce the profile to one closed loop it flexes perfectly, but when I try any other arrangement of multiple shapes, it always breaks once I try to adjust parameters.  I know you cannot have closed loops inside of each other, but the arrangements I have never intersect or enclose each other.  It also sweeps correctly initially, but breaks upon flexing.  Is it possible to get this working or am I attempting the impossible.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Sounds like the dimensions that are set to the parameters are set incorrectly. Particularly for radial dimensions, try placing the controlling dimensions inside the sketch, if you're not doing that already.
Message 3 of 13

I mis-typed.  where it says "extrusion" I meant to write "sweep," you cannot use profiles in extrusions, the parent family I am making requires profiles, so I am using straight-line sweeps  in place of extrusions. 

Also, since it is a profile, there is no "sketch" the profile family is a sketch in its own right.

I used the circle geometry as a conceptual example.  If youd like to see what I am actually working on see the attached file.  It flexes fine when in the profile family, but breaks with a "cannot make type" error when you use it in a parent family for a sweep.

Message 4 of 13

I got that you meant sweep, I misread the first part where you're using a nested parametric family for the sketch of the sweep. Which may be the problem, i'm looking at your test file now.
Message 5 of 13

Also, the file you sent has no object in it, please re-send with one created before it breaks.
Message 6 of 13

sorry, wrong file.

Message 7 of 13

Err...one more time, a file with a sweep created in it, before you try to flex it.
Message 8 of 13

here you go, thanks for your patience and persistence.

Message 9 of 13

okay so correct me if I'm wrong, you're trying to modify the values of the nested profile in your sweep? hrmm so my first thought then, is in the profile family, each one of those dimensions should be linked to a ref plane (set to not a reference).
Message 10 of 13

That is correct, I am trying to modify these values in the sweep.  I thought the same thing with respect to reference planes, but had the same results.  Profiles can be perfectly happy without a reference plane for every line drawn.

Message 11 of 13

Okay, then it may not be possible to do it that way, so next suggestion (and this is how we handle pile caps and piles), in the profile, make each type you need, then in the sweep family, change the profile being used. For this method you would not have the double profile, just a single, then in the sweep family, you would make multiple copies and specify the distance between them.
Message 12 of 13

your suggestion is similar to what we have now as well.  The hope was to creat a series of profile families, one for each pile configuration (7 piles, 4 piles, 30 piles etc.) that could be flexed to change the geometry of each pile, but retain the design geometry of the system, then make a parent pile cap family that was all inclusive of pile sizes and configurations, with a type parameter to select the appropriate profile.  But I have hit a wall here.  What we have now works, but I was exploring more efficient and flexible alternatives.

Thanks for your help

Message 13 of 13
TTrschmitt
in reply to: TTrschmitt

The issue lies with equality dimensions and dimensional parameters not getting along when dealing with linework and reference planes at the same time.  Previously I had two closed loops whose lines were all dimensionally parameterized and an equality dimension from a line of one closed loop to the center reference plan to a line of the other closed loop.  By adding a reference plane for each of the closed loops, dimensioning all linework of each closed loop to each exclusive reference plane, then dimensioning the equality parameters only between reference planes, it works.  Still confusing that it flexed previously in the profile but broke once it was used in a sweep.  Thanks again for your help. 

If anyone is interested, compare the relationship of this attached family with the one I previously posted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report