Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit closes when opening files from File Open Command

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gyrotime
612 Views, 8 Replies

Revit closes when opening files from File Open Command

Hello:

On one of our computers here in the office we have a strange problem. When trying to use File > Open, a file will open to about 75% or so, then Revit just closes - no error messages, it just closes. If you go to File Manager and double click a file, it will open just fine in Revit. It just won't work when using File > Open. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: gyrotime

Can you attach a journal file from when the crash occurs?

Joe
Message 3 of 9
gyrotime

Joe:

I have attached the journal file. I started a new one. The steps included starting Revit 2009, using File > Open, picking a file. It gets to about 50% then Revit just closes. Also, if we just double click the file from Explorer, it opens just fine. This only happens when using File > Open

Thanks,

Russell
Message 4 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

First, a question and then a suggestion:
Does this only happen with one file? or with all files?

Try deleting (or better, renaming) your Revit.ini file. Revit will create a new one the next time it is run.
You could also try to copy the revit.ini from a "working" computer.
This file is located in c:\Program Files\Revit Structure 2009\Program

Joe
Message 5 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

Also, are you filling in the information for the CER (customer error report) dialog after the crash?

Those dialogs provide information directly to Autodesk about issues like this.

Joe
Message 6 of 9
gyrotime

Joe:

This happens opening any files on this computer.

The Revit ini file is exactly the same on this machine as on others. Only this machine is having the problem though.

When Revit closes, we don't see any error messages or anything. It literally just closes, disappears. No dialogs or anything. It just vanishes as if it were never started.
Message 7 of 9

Did you ever get this fixed? I have been having the same problem for a while and we have be reinstalling it. I figured that there has to be a better way of doing this. Please let me know what you did.
Message 8 of 9
saschmtt

I am having the same exact problem and seek a solution. On only 1 computer in the office (mine); when trying to open a drawing from inside Revit (File>Open), the opening process will reach about 73%, and close unexpectingly without a notice of error. Like said before, the programs closes as if it had not been running in the first place. As mentioned, I can open the files through Windows File Explorer, but endure periodic crashes when working on the file (not sure if i can technically call it a crash as those typically warrant some sort of system acknowledgment). These symptoms lead me to believing that we're dealing with virtual memory or RAM issues. Is this correct, and is there a way to solve this issue? I'm already working with 3gbRAM, which by all means should be sufficient for the 32-bit application. Thoughts...Ideas? Or do i simply hope that this bug is corrected in the first service pack for Revit2010
Message 9 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

Is this only one particular file, or many different files?

Maybe you can post a journal from a crash, they often contain clues.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report