Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining Wall with Brick Face

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Cadguru42
1523 Views, 16 Replies

Retaining Wall with Brick Face

What would be the best method to create a retaining wall with a brick face? See below for what I'm looking for.

retwall_revit.png

I need a brick wall along the top of the footer 0.5" from the face of the concrete wall. I'm a novice when it comes to Revit, but know enough to get around. I first had problems trying to use the built in walls & foundations, so I made my own with a sweep & profile of the foundation and a second sweep & profile for the wall itself. So far so good, except when I try to add an architectural wall that's only the .5" air gap and 3.5" brick Revit gives me an error saying, "Highlighted walls overlap. One of them may be ignored when Revit finds room boundaries. Use Cut Geometry to embed one wall within the other." Is that because my brick wall is too close to the retaining wall itself? Is there a way to get the brick, the gap, and the sloping concrete of the wall all in one wall? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Cadguru42
in reply to: Cadguru42

No thanks to the abysmal help in Revit, I figured out how to add a profile to a wall, but not sure how to make it work correctly. The top of the retaining wall concrete is 12", the bottom is 18", and the insertion point is from the middle of the top (6" inside from the flat side). So far the only way I see to get the .5" gap and 3.5" brick on the flat side is to add a 6" air barrier that sits in the same place as part of the concrete for the retaining wall profile. Is there another way to make the 0.5" air gap and 3.5" brick to offset 6"? Is it OK to have materials that overlap like this?

retwall_revit2.png

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Thanks for your effort. I am also sending you Revit Files. Look what will be more helpful for you. Please find the attached files.

Regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Message 4 of 17
Cadguru42
in reply to: subhra_civil

@subhra_civil wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your effort. I am also sending you Revit Files. Look what will be more helpful for you. Please find the attached files.

Regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Thanks for that. So is it better to use a reveal instead of a sweep for sloped walls such as a retaining wall? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Actually it depends on user. May be sweep is easy to someone or may be reveal is easier to someone. I have just shown you the process. Now use is completely upto you.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 6 of 17
gregamhale

I'll suggest another method that has alot more flexibility.  Instead of using the typical wall tools, try creating an "in-place component."  To do this, go to the Structral Tab -> Component -> Model In-Place -> and select wall.  See attached image.  Then model the geometry that you are creating.  If this is a straight wall then you can use an extrusion.  If it is a curved wall, then you can use a sweep.  You can model the concrete and the brick face seperately within the same In-Place Family and give them different materials.  It may also be helpful to create some reference planes before starting the In-Place Family.

This should solve your problem and provide much more flexibility.

In-Place Wall Component.png

Message 7 of 17
subhra_civil
in reply to: gregamhale

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Can you pls send me a sample wall revit file by using "Create in Place"?????? Then i can understand what you want to say about this type of wall creating by using "Create in Place". I am awaiting for your reply.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 8 of 17
gregamhale

Sample file attached

Message 9 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am unable to open the Revit file which you have sent to me. I am Revit 2014. I think you are using 2015. Can you save this in 2014 version?????? If possible then please send me that file in Lower Version.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Message 10 of 17
gregamhale

Alright.  Here's a version in Revit 2014.

Message 11 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Again same problem. Send me in Revit 2014 Version.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 12 of 17
gregamhale

The file is in Revit 2014.  I just opened it up and verified.  I will attach again.

Message 13 of 17
subhra_civil

ok. I have able to opened that file. But with this family you will not able to create continuous wall. just try to create 4 nos. wall with this. you will not able to joint the wall corners.

Regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Message 14 of 17
gregamhale

This in-place family is an example of how it could be done.  If you want this same wall turn around corners, then you'll create the geometry with a sweep instead of an extrusion within the in-place family.

Message 15 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

I know that it is a Create in Place component. So that i am telling you that if you create this wall with sweep option it will not work in proper way. As per as my understanding. If it is possible by you then send me a sample file and show me how it will work in proper way.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Message 16 of 17
gregamhale

Attached is an example that uses an in-place family with a sweep to create the geometry instead of an extrusion.  You should see that the possibilities are limitless.  This is more or less just straightforward modeling that allows you to assign a Revit category.  It can be used any time the typical tools provided don't allow enough customization or flexibility.

Message 17 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

I have seen your file. But "Create in Place" what i have seen you have to create 2 nos. different profile for every uses in sweep option or in extrusion. I think it should be better uses with wall reveal. See my attahced file which i have sent earlier to original problem sender.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report