Revit Structure

Active Contributor
eurobass
Message 1 of 6 (88 Views)

Rendering is Overheating CPU

88 Views, 5 Replies
05-13-2008 11:12 AM
Hello!

I have a little problem. I've been trying to do renderings to display in our office. When I try to render my structural framing at best quality at 300PDPI get the "blue screen of death" after about 10 minutes or so.

I took a look at my task manager and while I'm rendering, my 3.2Ghtz Dual Core Processors are both running at 100%. I'm assuming my computer is crashing due to an overheating of the processors. Is there a way to tell revit to only utilize one processor during the rendering process?

Thanks!

Daniel
Employee
Joe.Charpentier
Message 2 of 6 (88 Views)

Re: Rendering is Overheating CPU

05-13-2008 02:43 PM in reply to: eurobass
I don't think there's a way to do that. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if most users wanted both cores working on rendering in order to get the rendering done faster.

If I were you, I'd invest in a better cooling system (if, in fact, your diagnosis is correct) There are utilities out there to tell you what your CPU temp is.
Take the cover of your PC and point a fan at it- that should work ;-)
Distinguished Contributor
KSI_Thor
Message 3 of 6 (88 Views)

05-14-2008 04:11 AM in reply to: eurobass
Rather than trying to render through Revit, I would sugest rendering through Navisworks! I've been able to get some pretty good almost photo like shots and it doesn't crash your system.
Employee
Joe.Charpentier
Message 4 of 6 (88 Views)

05-14-2008 08:07 AM in reply to: eurobass
Is Revit Crashing, or is your whole system crashing?

Are you getting the Blue Screen of Death? Is your computer just shutting down?

Maybe you could attach a journal from a failed rendering- that might have som clues as to what's going on.

Joe
Active Contributor
eurobass
Message 5 of 6 (88 Views)

05-14-2008 08:10 AM in reply to: eurobass
I get the blue screen of death. In my experience, that seems to happen when a piece of my hardware is overheating. I don't think a journal is created.

:/
Employee
Joe.Charpentier
Message 6 of 6 (88 Views)

05-14-2008 12:27 PM in reply to: eurobass
Well, a journal will be created up to the point where your computer crashes.

I suspect that you're right about the hardware issue, though.
If you can dig up a journal, please post it.

Joe
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!