Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebar Detailing

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
stewartg
3488 Views, 21 Replies

Rebar Detailing

Revit Rebar Detailing is so frustrating. So good in many ways, but I just can't get the drawings to look correct.

Forinstance:

How can I do varying length bars?

How can I place a bar range that is skewed to the concrete face?

How can I place a thick line on the end of the bar range without making the leader line thick also?

Why do bar lengths keep changing by a few millimeters, and Rebar tags keep moving even when I pin them?

Why can I not tag bar ends properly?

I don't really think I will get an answer to these questions. Time to go back to Autocad I think, before I loose my clients.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
SOFiSTiK_RS
in reply to: stewartg

Hi Stewartg,

Solving the requirements like yours based on Revit is my everyday work at the SOFiSTiK company. So my first question is, if you have already seen or heard from our application SOFiSTiK Reinforcement Detailing for Revit?

The following video shows just some feature of the latest version. At our SOFiSTiK YouTube channel you'll find more video tutorials which are showing the basic functionallities of the software also.

You can download a 30 days trial version via Autodesk Exchange Apps.

Please feel free to send me your feedback whenever you would like to do. Looking forward hearing from you!

Roland Suhr

SOFiSTiK AG

BTW: We proposed one lecture at Autodesk University this year again. Maybe we can meet there in person.

Message 3 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: SOFiSTiK_RS

I have not solved any of these issues. But just a comment on the last item "Rebar Tags moving". If I pin and unpin the tags they sometimes jump to their correct positions. And if I use the arrow keys to nudge them individually, they will jump to correct position.

Could this be related to the power of the computer? I already have 32Gb of RAM in a 3.5GHz computer.

Message 4 of 22
stewartg

Sorted the jumping rebar tags. Turn off "Keep Readable" in the tag family

Message 5 of 22
dkwolek

Hi

Can you share your file to see what’s wrong with rebar Tags and why are they moving ?

It will be helpful to point exactly which tags are moving.

Thank you

Dariusz Kwolek
Structural Product Manager
AEC Solutions
Message 6 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: dkwolek

Hi - I never worked out how or why the rebar tags moved. Although they constantly moved in some viewports and not in others.

I've attached one of my tags, but all I have done is to turn off the "Keep Readable" property.

Thanks

Message 7 of 22
dkwolek

Hi

That’s why I’m kindly asking you to send a Revit file.
We need to investigate what’s wrong and why do you experience different behavior in different views.

Unfortunately tag family file is not sufficient to diagnose the issue.

Thank you

Dariusz Kwolek
Structural Product Manager
AEC Solutions
Message 8 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: dkwolek

Sorry I misunderstood.

Stewart

Message 9 of 22
jachyme

Hi, do you experiment that with all categories or with Rebar Tag only?

Regards

Ewa Jachym

Ewa Jachym

Principal User Experience Designer

Message 10 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: jachyme

Sorry for delay. I replied by email, thinking it would automatically posted in here. But it has not.

No I have not changed the tags on any other categories.

With rebar tags there is such a wide variety of ways the rebar information needs to be presented, that it is necessary to change the tags.

I think the only other categories I have changed is view titles.

Stewart

Message 11 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: jachyme

No I have not changed the tags on any other categories.

With rebar tags there is such a wide variety of ways the rebar information
needs to be presented, that it is necessary to change the tags.

Stewart
Message 12 of 22
jclgelda

same issue here... so frustraiting and time consuming...

My tags have the "Keep Readable" option turned off and I have the same issue...

Message 13 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: jclgelda

I have gone back to Autocad. There are too many limitations when using Revit for RC Detailing.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Hello jclgelda, hello All,

Could you explain me with more details, what exactly you're doing to get your tag's jumping?

Could you share a file (.rvt) and describe your workflow step by step.

Pls, let me know what do you expact to obtain, so I can try to find a solution.

Best Regards,

Jakub B

Message 15 of 22
jclgelda
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jakub,

To be honest, I've tried to do things in different ways but, until now, we didn't figure out why the tags jump...

This have been happening for years... The only pattern I notice is that this happens mainly in tags with "Free End" leaders.

The workaround to move the tag to the right place is by typing an arrow key once the tags are selected. This has to be done with a close zoom in, otherwise the tag moves to a place nearby the desired destination... And, once the tag is moved, it will no longer jump to the right place again using the arrow keys.

As you can imagine, this workaround is very tedious and time consuming... Just to give you some figures, this small project in the screencast has, approximately, 350 views with rebar tags and we have to check them one by one before every time we issue any pack of drawings.

We freak out when a client ask us to do the RC detailing using BIM...

Check ou the screencast. I'm sure you will find it useful.

Message 16 of 22
jachyme

Hi, did you try that on any version later then 2015? If possible please check that on version 2016.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Ewa Jachym

Principal User Experience Designer

Message 17 of 22
aaronross24UM5

Why do bar lengths keep changing by a few millimeters?? Any answers on this? 

Message 18 of 22
stewartg
in reply to: aaronross24UM5

I never sorted this out. You can carefully number all bars in consecutive order, then some bars will change slightly, making a mess of the numbering system.

As I mentioned earlier, I now use AutoCAD. Although CADS RC is possibly a better way. 

@aaronross24UM5 wrote:

Why do bar lengths keep changing by a few millimeters?? Any answers on this? 

Message 19 of 22
aaronross24UM5

Ahh okay, thanks anyway.

Message 20 of 22

The reason of slightly rebar dimension changings are the automatic constraints in Revit. I would say that's somehow advantage and disadvantage together. To prevent the disadvantages (with other words the unwished changes) I recommend to use the tool "Freeze" of SOFiSTiK Reinforcement Detailing and you can be sure that the frozen bars will not change any millimeter anymore! Promise 🙂

Please Note: Along with serveral developments of Revit (especially version 2020 in this case) we where able to changed the freeze engine to a new technology. Therefore I recommend to try the Freeze tool with our latest version SOFiSTiK Reinforcement Detailing 2020.

Roland Polster

SOFiSTiK AG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report