Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing X Bracing off grid

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bowness72
1077 Views, 4 Replies

Placing X Bracing off grid

Hi there, I am a very new user to Revit having spent the last 20+ years using AutoCAD LT so finding the transition a little slow.  Im trying to place some vertical X Bracing off grid.  I can place it on the gridline/beam centreline easily but cant seem to place it where it is needed in reality.  I am trying to line it up with the outside flange of a column but it will only let me move one end, not to mention that it warns me that it will have to unjoin geometry.  Is there some simple but critical setting I need to tick or untick to override Revit's desire to keep the bracing on grid ?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dmahan
in reply to: bowness72

The only way I have found to solve this problem, is to take an existing member family and re-name and edit to provide offset parameter to move the member away from the gridline. To learn how look at the out of box double angle family.

This family has parameter to place gap or distance between pair of angles. What type of member are you using for bracing.? If single angle than you can save and modify the double angle to work as single angle family.

Message 3 of 5
bowness72

Thanks dmahan....More often than not, we use 100 x 10 flat

Message 4 of 5
sorgjee

Have you tried setting an a workplane offset from the grid? Define a reference plane in line with the outside flanges your aiming for. In the section view, set the workwplane as the reference plane. Draw the bracing in this new workplane. This is the only way I've managed to get this working without manually moving ever bracing member end point. Beware of the member trying to snap to the column ends rather than the flang workplane you want, so might be easier to draw too short, then extend to the corners you're looking for.

Message 5 of 5
dmahan

See attachment for double plate brace family.

You will need to convert units to metric for your use.

The placing location is on gridline same as analytical, but plates are offset by parameter distance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report