Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Column Heigth

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ccurley
1443 Views, 9 Replies

Parametric Column Heigth

Hi,

I have tried to create a new concrete column from the metric template, basic shape is as required but I cannot figre out how to make the hiegth parametric. I have settled for a fixed heigth for the moment but I am obviously going wrong somewhere, any tips?

Chris.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AJA14
in reply to: ccurley

Hi,

A column is a two level component. You need to start from a 2 level metric template or the column template or edit an existing column.

Regards,

If this is not what you meant, you simply go to an elevation view, add a dimension, create a height parameter, and you're done.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 10
ccurley
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks for your response..

So I used the Metric Structural Column.rft, is this a fixed heigth template? Should I have used the Metric Generic Model two level based.rft

Can you advise on correct template to be used for typical structural components?

Again Thankyou.

Message 4 of 10
AJA14

Just go to elevation. Drag the column to the upper level and lock it. Then you should be able to control the column just like any other column.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 5 of 10
ccurley

those are the steps i followed, was the Metric Structural Column.rft the wron template to use?
Message 6 of 10
AJA14

Hi,

Everything you did is correct. Please attach your family and I will take a look at it.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 7 of 10
ccurley

i appreciate that..

Message 8 of 10
AJA14

Hi, 

It should be ok now. 

All I did was drag the column down and drag it back up. Once it snaps to the level, I press on the padlock to lock the column. 

Another way would be to use the align tool. 

And I also associated your family material to the project material so you can change the material from inside the project. 

Good Luck. 

Regards, 

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 9 of 10
ccurley

Ali,

Again many thanks. I though I had snapped and locked to the upper level, actually im sure i did because i moved the top level to see was it constrained...

Anyway I'm very grateful

Chris.

Message 10 of 10
subhra_civil

Hi,

AJA14 is absolutely correct. you should use "Metric Structural Column.rfa" family file. It is a fixed height template. If you use Generic Model Template then you have to use there Parametric Dimension for Column height. You can try with this also. After loading into a project you check what is easier family for column. But mind that if you extract the "Column Schedule" then please use "Structural Column.rfa" file. It will be easier to extract your column schedule.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report