Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notching beams

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
andy.dyer
2268 Views, 6 Replies

Notching beams

Hello

Has anyone had any experience in notching beams around each other to the level of detail you would normally show something at the scale 1:10 and the easiest way to achieve it?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: andy.dyer

Use the opening by face tool. You can sketch a detailed profile.

Joe
Message 3 of 7
KSI_Thor

Are you refering to the way joined beams clean up in plan view? I'm not sure I understand notching beams around each other. Can you attach an example?
Message 4 of 7
andy.dyer

The answer above helped. But typicaly if the top flanges are the same level one beam needs to have its top flange notched so they can be connected via an endplate. (ounless it has a face plate!)
Message 5 of 7
KSI_Thor

For steel beams, why not just use the cope tool?
You will have to set the section to medium or fine level.
Message 6 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

The coping tool works, but doesn't do things like fillet the corners of the cope.

I assumed that when the orignal poster was talking about a certain "level of detail", that he had tried the coping tool, and was not satisfied with the results.

I should probably not assume...
(For the ususal reasons.)

Joe
Message 7 of 7
KSI_Thor

I just did a beam connection section using both tools. You are right, the cope is OK, but if you actually want to show the radius fillets, you have to use the opening by face method.
I don't go to those levels of detail in my models because for us it not economically feasible,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report