Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Void family won't cut

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
RO1978
6069 Views, 8 Replies

Nested Void family won't cut

I have problems with my nested void family loaded in my Generic model. When I upload the Generic model into my project the Void family will not cut the face of a different generic model. I have checked 'shared' and don't know what the problem coud be. I've also read older posts but no succes.

Info:

I use a Void family because I want to tag the void with name 'Void A'.

Can someone help? I have attached the family.

Thanks!

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bjur
in reply to: RO1978

Make sure the "Cut with Voids When Loaded" is checked.

Message 3 of 9
ro78
in reply to: bjur

I will check this.
And is it cutting the surface allready inside the void family? It looks like it is not in your image
Revit Structure 2013 user
Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ro78

In order use the "Cut with Voids When Loaded" option, the Voids that are intended to cut geometry in the Project must be unattached, or otherwise not cutting any of the geometry within the Family. A Void will display as an orange wireframe when it's not cutting any geometry, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not attached or associated with geometry; a Void can be set to cut an extrusion, but not actually intersect with it at all, thus not be cutting any geometry. Use the "Uncut" command to disassociate the Void from other Family geometry if necessary.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
ro78
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, this is clear
Revit Structure 2013 user
Message 6 of 9
pyziu

Sorry for the question, but what "unttached void" is?

Message 7 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: pyziu

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

An unattached Void is one that is not associated with any of the other Extrusions in the Family. So basically, it is a free-floating Void that is not cutting anything. Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell.

The best way to tell if a Void is unattached is to activate the "Uncut Geometry" tool (under Modify tab » Cut ), select the Void, and then move the cursor across the other Extrusions in the Family. If any one them become highlighted, then the Void is set to cut that Extrusion, and all you have to do is click on it is disassociate it.

The best way to create a new Void that is unattached is to first create it as a normal Extrusion, then select that Extrusion, and change it to a Void under its Properties ("Solid/Void").

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 9
szczebakd

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe the original post was referring to nesting a Void Family within another family.  He has created a generic model that contains only a void (nothing to be attached to in that file) and loading it into another generic model family.  The nested void won't cut the geometry in the generic model in which it is nested, despite both "Shared" and "Voids cut when loaded" being checked. From my research on this topic I've been lead to believe that the "Voids Cut When Loaded" option only works when that void is loaded directly into the project.  Are you saying that it should also work when loading the void into another family?

I have a similar problem, where I have reveals I need to show up in varying locations on a panel depending on it's position in the facade composition.  I'd like to have a yes/no visibility parameter to turn on and off the void in 3 typical locations.  Is there a way to create a void within a family that allows me to use a single panel family and use instance parameters to turn on and off reveals?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
L.Maas
in reply to: szczebakd

There is no yes/no visbility parameters for voids. It is one of my topics in the ideas section "void visibility".

At the moment you will have to create a void, cut the object with it and then use parameters to move/stretch/resize the void so that it does not interact with the object anymore.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report