Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple planes question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dgenson
1529 Views, 9 Replies

Multiple planes question

Hi,

We have to create a structure for a park that has beams protruding in every which direction. Is there an easier way to create this than having to create a work plane for every surface between beams? I tried to attach a Pdf of the project, but it says the file is too large and it's only 45 kb

Thank you,

Arianna

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgenson
in reply to: dgenson

Ok, it looks like the attachmnet stayed on. Please review and let me know if you have any advice. I've tried a few massing techniques but can't get the beams to snap to the planes on it.

Message 3 of 10
DParkRMAK

This is an interesting challenge. We sometimes get sculpures that we have to design a structual system for and they can be challenging.

I just did a test with applying framing to a mass and I think that is your best option. If you have a 3D shape to import or can create a mass of the object you can place beams by using the "pick lines" option. With the 3d snapping option turned on the beams will snap to the facet lines.

Hopefully you can get a mass or existing model of that shape to start with because I think modeling that would be more of a challenge.

Message 4 of 10
dgenson
in reply to: DParkRMAK

HI,

Thank you very much for your response, I'm going to try what you suggested, however do you know if that would work on an imported dwg file? We recieved the document in CAD. We're just trying to make it work as a 3D model in Revit.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 10
DParkRMAK

I would think that it would work. The snap to lines mode should be able to snap to imported geometry.

Let us know how it goes. I would like to see the finished model.

The next challenge will be how to detail it to tell someone how to build it.

Message 6 of 10
dgenson

I guess the biggest issue I'm having, is when I "pick" the lines in Revit, it projects them onto a plane and doesn't "pick" them where they actually are on the model. There are so many planes for this, we were trying to prevent having to draw a working plane for every flat surface, but I'm not seeing how else to get those lines where they are in space.

Message 7 of 10
DParkRMAK

Make sure the 3D snapping is enabled in the options bar under the ribbon.

Message 8 of 10
dgenson

Hi, sorry to keep bugging you, I just can't seem to make it work. So I've got an imported view. I'm picking in-place mass, and then picking the "pick lines" option of drawing. However, once I have that option picked, I don't see a 3D snapping box to have checked. Maybe you could screen shot what you are referring to.  I really appreciate your help,

Thank you

Message 9 of 10
DParkRMAK

With the Autocad geometry inserted into Revit you should be able to just start placing your beams. The 3D snapping is an option of the beam tool.

I just tried this with a 3d poly I made in Autocad and imported into Revit.

With the ACAD geometry in Revit select beam. in the Modify / Draw panel select pick lines. Below the ribbon you will see the 3D snapping option.See attached image.

Now just pick each line where you want a beam to be placed.

I used a mass just to have some odd shaped 3D geometry to test with. The 3D ACAD model should work just fine.

Message 10 of 10
dgenson

Today, I was finally able to make this work. Thank you so much for your help. My boss and entire team was so happy to see it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report