Revit Structure

Valued Contributor
gguevarra
Message 1 of 3 (199 Views)

live detail cuts

199 Views, 2 Replies
02-12-2013 09:16 AM

Out of curiousity, are people using live cuts when creating details? I know some places that will cut the live detail and use them as a background to place 2-D components over the top. The actual 3-D modeled elements then get hidden in the final product. At that point though, was there any real benefit to cutting the live detail? Did you save time by doing it that way? Just looking for a way to leverage Revit to make it beneficial and efficient. Thanks.

Valued Contributor
kirbybeegles4894
Message 2 of 3 (179 Views)

Re: live detail cuts

02-13-2013 11:25 AM in reply to: gguevarra

My recommendation is to cut live details of things that don't require placing detail lines and components over the model.  Only cut live views of things that will update on their own as the model changes.  For us, this is typically building elevation and full wall sections.  We make all of our details using drafting views.

Valued Contributor
gguevarra
Message 3 of 3 (175 Views)

Re: live detail cuts

02-13-2013 11:31 AM in reply to: gguevarra

Thanks for the response back. We currently do about 95% of our detail cuts with drafting views. When cutting the live cuts it just seems like there is inevitably a lot of clean-up that has to go on, especially when dealing with sloped or skewed elements. After cleaning that stuff up and placing the necessary 2-D components, it almost feels like "what was the point?" Or, "did I save myself any time or effort?"

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!