Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking family types

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
AECOM-AC
822 Views, 8 Replies

Linking family types

Dear Autodesk!

Can I link family type parameter from nested family to host family as I can do it for dimensions and other data?

Why there is no "=" sign for family type?

Other question: How can I get the thickness of the angle I choose? Let say A2_N has thickness 1/2" and I want to read this parameter and use for bolt length. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Alex

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: AECOM-AC

ch_alex wrote:

"Can I link family type parameter from nested family to host family as I can do it for dimensions and other data?

Why there is no "=" sign for family type?"

You cannot. If you care to elaborate on your desired workflow, perhaps an alternate solution can be found.

ch_alex wrote:

"Other question: How can I get the thickness of the angle I choose? Let say A2_N has thickness 1/2" and I want to read this parameter and use for bolt length. How can I do that?"

Some parameter values (depending on the units) can be read by means of Reporting Parameters. However, values derived from nested Families cannot drive any parameters in the host Family. It's a one-way street - parameters from the host can drive nested values but not vice-versa.

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, ch_alex!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
AECOM-AC
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you, CADastrophe,

To my first question.  I have a frame which consist from couple vertical, couple diagonal and couple horizontal angles. The angle sizes can be different, max 4 different angle types. Then this frame (family) is nested into host family where I arrayed this family. I have no problem with updating the angle sizes of the nested family in the host family. But when I load host into the project - I am able to access only host family parameters through the "Edit Type" and did not find the way to control nested family in the project environment.

Thanks for your reply,

Alex

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

What version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
AECOM-AC

Message 6 of 9
CoreyDaun

If you can design your system so that it does not rely on the <Family Type...> Parameter Type, that would be best. If you can make it function so that the family angles are controlled parametrically in a single nested family, that would be best. An alternate, crude method would be to avoid this is to place an instance of each variant in place and control their visibility with Yes/No parameters.

If you must use the <Family Type...> Parameter, you'll have to use formula to convert the data to another linkable Type. Attached is a example that converts the setting to an Integer to control the appearance of the nested elements. (Revit 2012).

Message 7 of 9
AECOM-AC

Thank you,

But unfortunately I did not open your file with 2012 Revit. Says that file was saved ina later version.

Message 8 of 9
CoreyDaun

I attached the wrong file - I edited my previous post and fixed the attachment...

Message 9 of 9
AECOM-AC

CADastrophe,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that.

alex

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report