Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing 3D surface for Bridge

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ac_bryant
1488 Views, 11 Replies

Importing 3D surface for Bridge

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to import a 3D surface into Revit Structure, that can be used as a basis for bridge modelling. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to do this? I was hoping to use the surface (imported from Civil road design programs) to attach my bridge elements to. I've looked into toposurface, which don't seem to suit my needs, and tried to import the surface into a mass, but have not had any luck. Any ideas would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
nicolas.mangon
in reply to: ac_bryant

there are a number of ways to do that
what kind of surface file do you have?
what kind of bridge are you designing
feel free to contact me at nicolas.mangon@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 12
ac_bryant

The 3D road surface has been exported from 12D to Autocad as 3D string lines and as a 3D tin surface. I have tried to create a mass in Revit using both of these but can't achieve what I would like.

I would like to use the 3D civil design as a reference point that I can base the setout of the bridge upon.

The bridge has concrete abutments, piles, wing walls, with precast deck units, concrete deck slab & steel or concrete barriers.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Hi

I am also very keen to use Revit Structure for bridge design, mostly for
flyovers. Currently there is one problem with modelling: Revit does not
allow beams curved in 3D (horisontally + vertically). As vertical
curvature is normally small, we can handle it with straight elements.
Hopefully this will be addressed in next version.
It would be great to reference road and terrain models to Revit or
connect alignment and profile data.

Raul

Douglas2000 wrote:
> The 3D road surface has been exported from 12D to Autocad as 3D string lines and as a 3D tin surface. I have tried to create a mass in Revit using both of these but can't achieve what I would like.
>
> I would like to use the 3D civil design as a reference point that I can base the setout of the bridge upon.
>
> The bridge has concrete abutments, piles, wing walls, with precast deck units, concrete deck slab & steel or concrete barriers.
Message 5 of 12
nicolas.mangon

please contact me at nicolas.mangon@autodesk.com
thank you
Message 6 of 12
Politchj

I am very interested in this thread and the answers to the previous two questions in particular as I am in the process of evaluating Revit and two other competitor packages for bridge design. More and more of our bridge designs comprise vertical and horizontal curves, usually of precast concrete beams, so this type of complex geometry and interoperability is critical to our software choice.
Any answers to the previos questions or additional information that can be shared would be of great help.
Message 7 of 12
chuchumouth

Hi Douglas (and others),

Is there an email address that I can contact you directly? In fact, our product team is currently working with other worldwide customers (who did use Revit Structure to do some bridge projects) to prepare some tutorial/whitepaper type of documentations and share their knowledge with other users.

When it will be ready (very soon), I can certainly let you know and tell you where to download the materials.

Best Regards,

Wai Chu (wai.chu@autodesk.com)
Technical Product Manager
Revit Structure
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 12
PeterGriffen

please could you include me in on this thanks
pxread@skm.co.uk

thanks
pete
Message 9 of 12
AATConsult

Any new in information on this. Thanks!
Message 10 of 12
jpenny

Nicolas,

Has this been sorted out on 2010? We would like to purchase this application because we will be using this 90% of the time. I don't have much luck in finding revit user on bridges except this thread.

Thanks!
Message 11 of 12
chairpak

Please include me in this email list for the information.
Message 12 of 12
sketz_jewel
in reply to: chuchumouth

Hi Wai, Good afternoon, as your email below it is very useful if you please include me in giving a white paper or Tutorials for this subject. I am also using Revit Structure 2011 and hopefully 2012 later In our company. I also would like to learn more on how to use and Import 3d element from different softwares (12d, MX IFC file) to revit in proper way. My email is sketz_jewel@yahoo.com.ph Thank you very much and more power, Joel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report