Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import and export families from Revit to Civil 3D with information

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1089 Views, 1 Reply

Import and export families from Revit to Civil 3D with information

We recently start using Revit with civil 3D for our company. We design noise barriers alongside roads and railways. 

First we create our elements, colums, foundation elements etc. in Revit using generic models (families). Then we export this to civil using dwg export or building site export. In civil 3D we import these element and place them alongside the 3D model of the road. Than we export this civil model to Revit.

The problem is, when we export our families to civil, we lose all our information (parameters, colours and materials etc.). I thought when I import the civil model with the elements into Revit, I can simply replace the elements with the correct Revit elements. Only Revit doesn't recognize these elements as families, but as imported symbols (dwg). Is there a possebility to change imported symbols to generic models?

If this isn't possible, is there another way to export our families without losing the information?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: Anonymous

It is impossible to keep the family data when you use the export/import feature between Civil3d and Revit. They both use different way to manage database.

I guess you keep the same revit file once is exported to import back the civil3d back to the same original revit file.

If you are using Revit 2015, Autodesk bought siteworks from eaglePoint and became site designer as a revit addin where you have more feature when comes to create civil elements within Revit.

If you have the subscription,  you could get this addin for free in Revit 2015.

You could get this addin in two ways

Installing R2 (from the subscription) which will include site designer 

or 

From the apps exchange

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aautodesks...

for more tutorials you could search for siteworks on YouTube and you will have plenty of tutorials

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report