Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a stepped opening.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cve60069
467 Views, 3 Replies

I need a stepped opening.

Hello

My model is basically a concrete-slab over a structural opening passing through a floor or roof.  I have created the opening but I now want to cut away the material occupied by the bearings of the slab (see attached).

How may I cut away the floor outside of the opening, please?  Should I use a void-form?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

what do you mean by  outside of the opening?

and what do you want to calculate ?

can you give us more info to better visualize your question

thanks

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cve60069

Yes, you would use unattached Voids to cut away select portions of the surrounding host floor. Also, ensure that under Family Category and Parameters, the "Cuts with Void When Loaded" option is enabled. Voids can cut partially into the Floor whereas the Opening goes all the way through.

As a tip in regards to creating the Voids, create them as Solid Extrusion first and then change them to Void under Properties. This will ensure that they do not automatically cut and associate with the other geometry in the Family. Afterwards, use the Cut tool to associate the Void with the Host Floor in the Family. And yes, this part seems kind of contradictory to the term "Unattached Voids" as quoted from Revit Help.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 4
erik_snell
in reply to: cve60069

You could associated use the Slab Edge tool to add the step back into the opening. So cut the opening to the outer perimeter of your stepped opening. Create a new Slab Edge profile that fits the profile of the step. Then use this profile with the Slab Edge tool to add the step to the opening.

Always more than one way to "skin the cat."

Erik

Autodesk Logo

Erik Snell, P.E.
Experience Design Architect
Autodesk Revit

I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report