Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable beam auto join?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
gpktm
10757 Views, 14 Replies

How to disable beam auto join?

Is there any way to prevent/disable Revit to do automatic joining of structural elements?

I have two base frames in my example the first one is done (1) and I'm struggling to join the two joists of the base frame next to it (2) and (3) and I'm getting a really funny result.

The joist (2) is displacing within the adjacent base frame, the joist (3) is extended up to the next bsae frame, and the most funny of all the joist from the first base frame is getting disconnected and extended with no reason.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: gpktm

You cannot specifically disjoin a beam in Revit without dragging the end control that defines the beam away from another member.

However, it appears that you are using steel beams, and therefore you should be able to control the way the end joins occur using the beam join editor.  This tool is available in the “Geometry” panel on the “Modify” tab, and then you should be able to use the in-canvas arrow controls to  modify the way the beams join together, including the miter you appear to be trying to create.

Joe

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 15

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as in the first post. The beam joins don't seem to work when there are 2 miter joins next to each other. Has this been solved somehow?

Message 4 of 15
jmacgregorH566H

So good ol' autodesk. here we are 6.5 years later and still no way to globally disable auto beam joining. I am repeatedly having to move beams because of this retarded inbuilt feature. Costing my time and my employers time.

Message 5 of 15
AntDrt
in reply to: jmacgregorH566H

Hello everyone,

to disable multiple join for multiple beams, you can use Dynamo.

and use package called "StructuralFraming.DisallowJoins"

i use it and works pretty well.

But you have to modelize first your beams, there is currently no way to disallow by default.

Antoine
AMG Fechoz
Serrurerie & Equipement Scénographique
www.amg-fechoz.com
Message 6 of 15
Waldemar17

click on  the beam or the element and on the blue dot right click and disallow joint.

Message 7 of 15
Jason.P
in reply to: Waldemar17

The disallow join trick might be your best bet. I would be leary of doing the Dynamo thing and disallowing all your joins. This maybe a case of less is more. See jpgs below for what to look for.

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 8 of 15
dbrownG4VN3

Thank you so much! That solved a problem I've been having for a long time!

Message 9 of 15
rsMR267
in reply to: AntDrt

Hey,

Just wondering if you have found a package to allowjoins, not 100% re autojoining will be a good idea or not tbh, but certainly in some cases it will be.

Thanks

Message 10 of 15
mirjan

That causes my whole beam to unjoin from the material he is in. I want him to join the material, but disallow at the ends
Message 11 of 15

This "feature" causes me nothing but trouble. My expectation is that the default should be unjoined. If you want to lock the elements together, you toggle the join. It's such a mess, for me at least. Maybe I'm not the target user of the software, though. Furthermore, the behavior seems so inconsistent. I find it hard to work with groups in which one a structural member from one group auto-joins a structural member from another group. I find myself constantly running around the model and chasing beams that have changed length. 

Message 12 of 15
jihedtaw

Thanx man !!! @Waldemar17 

Message 13 of 15
zach__young

I realize this is a rather specific gripe, but while I'm glad that we have a Disallow Beam Join command available after right-clicking the blue dot/node of a Beam, why has the Allow/Disallow Join Configuration option not been implemented the same way as it was for Wall Joins? The command is somewhat buried, no?

Message 14 of 15
Karol_Piroska
in reply to: zach__young

a simple answer - that's just the way Revit is. Instead of having the toggle switch at each end of a wall or a beam available for every element, most of the time you have to isolate the element, select it, right click on that tiny little blue grip, select disallow join. And then you have the toggle switch available to allow or disallow joint for that end of the element all the time. But why would you make life simple and work faster?

Message 15 of 15
zach__young
in reply to: Karol_Piroska

I love the cynicism baked into that response. Indeed, why would we want nice things? They graciously gave us Dynamo, so now we soldier on and do it ourselves and then they graciously package it into the next update if they like it enough. It is an elegant system that is impossible to argue against.

I know someone will tell me to ask for the feature to be added on the official ask-Revit's-dev-team-for-presents page. And well frankly, that would take away the fun of complaining on a forum, and there are a thousand other features in the queue already. By the time they get to me I'll be long since retired and also dead, and therein lies the beauty of the system: it is as endless and sleepless as the moon in the night sky. Beautiful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report