Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hatch walls under the floor

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jwjvankuijk
3346 Views, 14 Replies

hatch walls under the floor

Is it possible to give walls underneath a level a different hatch then the (same type) walls above?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

The walls above a floor would most likely be cut by the view, and therefore the "cut pattern" would be used for display. the walls below the floor would not be cut, and therefore the "surface pattern" would be used for the display.

These attributes can be set using the "object styles" dialog (), or using the Visibility/Graphics overrides ("VG" while in the view, or from the "properties" dialog of the view, select "Visibility/Graphics overrides") (this probably makes more sense)

However, the slab (floor) would be blocking the visibility of the walls below. You could turn off visibility of floors in the view, or you could (if you're using r2008) use element visibility overrides to turn the floor transparent (select the floor, right click>override graphics in view>By Element>Check "transparent" in the top right of the dialog) This will mess up the default hidden lines view in Structure.- the walls below will no longer be shown as hidden, but you could change the projection linetype of the walls to be hidden.....

Also note that this is in medium and fine view. Walls can have a different cut pattern for "coarse view", which is in the type properties of the wall.

So, the answer is "Yes."

Are you confused yet?

Joe
Message 3 of 15
jwjvankuijk
in reply to: jwjvankuijk

Wow, that's a lot of information. But let me explaine a little bit more, just to be sure. I added an example of what I mean. It's made in acad and thats our system how we draw in acad. The amount of information we put in our dwg drawings, should be in the new Revit drawings. That's what I'm investigating. One part the information is hatching above and under floors, just like the example. I tried all the options you out, but they are (I think) not working. But I'm pretty new with Revit, so maybe I have to try a bit harder. Can you confirm that its possible to make the hatch different under the floor like the example?

Jkk
Message 4 of 15

I checked, and everything I told you works, even though it is a hack.

As a hack, there are situations where the picture is not really what you want- i.e. by making the floor transparent and changing all "Projection lines" of objects to "hidden", you essentially break Revit's automatic hidden creation.
(See the attached image)

If you are serious about making the move to Revit, I would suggest revisiting your graphical standard. In the Object styles dialog, you can set the "Hidden line" style for objects (say, walls and beams) differently, so that you can differentiate them on your plan. That may satisfy the "intent" of your graphical standard, even though it is not what you currently do.

You may want to ask yourself- does this beat drawing and hatching all this manually? Is what I may have to sacrifice in some control of the output worth the time I save in drawing every line individually? Because Revit tries to do it all for you automatically, you'll never have the kind of control you do in AutoCAD, because every object is made of multiple line segments and hatches (which you have to manually create).

Maybe someone else has another way to do this- anyone want to chime in?

Anyway, this is all my opinion... Hope it helps.

Joe
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

if the walls are different types, the components of each wall can be
assigned different materials to display different cut patterns.

if the walls are the same type, in 2008, an override can be assigned (just
select the walls you want different, right click, and fine 'override
graphics in view') to display different cut patterns and linetypes.

or you might use a filter to display different cut patterns and linetypes.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
18645 South West Creek Drive
Tinley Park, Illinois 60477
708.342.1250 x.225
wrote in message news:5716868@discussion.autodesk.com...
Wow, that's a lot of information. But let me explaine a little bit more,
just to be sure. I added an example of what I mean. It's made in acad and
thats our system how we draw in acad. The amount of information we put in
our dwg drawings, should be in the new Revit drawings. That's what I'm
investigating. One part the information is hatching above and under floors,
just like the example. I tried all the options you out, but they are (I
think) not working. But I'm pretty new with Revit, s
o maybe I have to try a bit harder. Can you confirm that its possible to
make the hatch different under the floor like the example?

Jkk
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

"and fine 'override..."
i meant 'find' - sorry:)

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
708.342.1250 x.225
"Brian" wrote in message
news:5716942@discussion.autodesk.com...
if the walls are different types, the components of each wall can be
assigned different materials to display different cut patterns.

if the walls are the same type, in 2008, an override can be assigned (just
select the walls you want different, right click, and fine 'override
graphics in view') to display different cut patterns and linetypes.

or you might use a filter to display different cut patterns and linetypes.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
708.342.1250 x.225
wrote in message news:5716868@discussion.autodesk.com...
Wow, that's a lot of information. But let me explaine a little bit more,
just to be sure. I added an example of what I mean. It's made in acad and
thats our system how we draw in acad. The amount of information we put in
our dwg drawings, should be in the new Revit drawings. That's what I'm
investigating. One part the information is hatching above and under floors,
just like the example. I tried all the options you out, but they are (I
think) not working. But I'm pretty new with Revit, s
o maybe I have to try a bit harder. Can you confirm that its possible to
make the hatch different under the floor like the example?

Jkk
Message 7 of 15

If you're posting via the web interface, you can edit your posts.

Joe
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

i use outlook express newsreader - same interface as my email.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
708.342.1250 x.225
wrote in message news:5716977@discussion.autodesk.com...
If you're posting via the web interface, you can edit your posts.

Joe
Message 9 of 15
Scott_Womack

You should be able to use a filter to select walls by level, and assign a hatching to ALL walls on that level, regardless of materials. You could get more adventurous, and use a filter for each material of wall.
Message 10 of 15

Right, you can assign a hatch (or pattern) to anything based on a number of criteria, but getting it to display is another story.

"Hatches" in Revit are not independant objects, but display properties of objects.

Revit displays these (generally) in two ways: When an object is "cut" by a view (cut pattern) and when the surface of an object is visible in a view (projection pattern)

The problem for this user is that the surfaces of a wall below the floor are not visible, because the floor is in the way. Therefore, no surface patterns will be visible.

Joe
Message 11 of 15
allanyz

This is another classic example of how far away the programmers are from the end users of this product.

The load bearing elements under a slab are more important to the structural designer than the walls over. You can't bulit the stuff over till you have built the supporting structure under. The hatch makes the supports stand out on the drawing.

Showing a hatch for load-bearing under is a basic structural drafting standard. Yes not everyone does it, but in my experience the majority of engineering offices do.

I hope autodesk adresses this issue in there next revision.
Message 12 of 15
Schalk79
in reply to: allanyz

This topic is quite frequently discussed on AUGI....

There are numerous suggested workarounds, but I do not agree with any of them.

In South Africa hatching the bearing elements under is standard procedure.

Since the elements are designated as bearing, there should be no problem in allowing for another "cut plane" in the "View Properties" with an additional surface pattern for the hatching indicating the elements under.

I agree... It is a classic case of programmers not being flexible to the way products are used / required to be used in the field.

The inability of Revit to display bearing elements under as hatched is a MAJOR disadvantage !!

Message 13 of 15

Is there a setting where you can force the hatch to the back on say a Structural Column or Structural Wall where the hatch is solid so it looks and prints fine.... I have this and can't seem to find out how to force the hatch behing the column lines..

I know this is slightly different form this thread..

Cheers

Message 14 of 15
AlexDT

A workaround is to make two structural floorplans with two different view templates. One just to make the underlying structure visibly (cutpatterns). In a sheet you can then paste them on top of each other.

Good luck! I hope autodesk comes up with a better solution!

Message 15 of 15
Dale.Bartlett

Coming from Architecture to support Structures, I am only now aware of this issue. Can someone point me to an accepted workaround?. Changing the visibility of slabs, or overlaying views are not preferred options. Thanks Dale

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report