Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Revit Structure 2011 to start in Demo Mode?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
StevenBaldridge7780
608 Views, 3 Replies

Force Revit Structure 2011 to start in Demo Mode?

We have 3 licenses for about 20 people. Usually not a problem because engineers don't really need to use Revit for editing, so they can always go to viewer when all licenses are in use. But every so often, we'll have an engineer open Revit Structure 2011 to view a file and a drafter will come along later trying to get a license and get denied. Then either myself or the person shut out has to hunt down the engineer that is using Revit and get them to close out to free up the license. Not a huge problem, but definitely obnoxious and a time-waster.

So, is there a way to force Revit Structure 2011 to start in Demo Mode that I could apply to engineers? And something that would be easy enough to turn off in the event they actually do need to edit something? This isn't a problem with 2012 since a viewer was added, but still persists with models that were built in 2011.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

the person that is trying to just view a file is it the same person or is it just random?

i am thinking if its the same person you can create an options to block them from taking a license

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

Agreed.  An options file would give you the maximum control on who gets a license and who doesn't.  I guess you could also disable the network connection, launch the software in demo mode, then reconnect.  Smiley Very Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 4

This is possible in r2012.

The correct shortcut/ command switch is:

"D:\MyFiles\Windows System Files\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Structure 2012\Program\Revit.exe" /viewer

Unfortunately, this feature did not exist in r2011. 

However, for r2011, you can go to the workstations of the people who rarely need to edit and from the Menu  (Big "R") choose "Licensing" and in the Product and license information dialog, switch the license to "Demo/Viewer".

They will not be using a license when they start in that mode. 

If they need to edit, you can switch it again later. 

Joe 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report