Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Structural Engineers Use Revit

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
bward
11971 Views, 24 Replies

Do Structural Engineers Use Revit

I am an architect and use Revit. Our structural engineers do not. They use RAM Steel to perform their structural analysis (Gravity only) and then give the work to CAD operators to document in AutoCAD or Revit. The problem is that since the structural engieers are not ativly working in Revit because they cannot use it for design and only documentation, they are detacted from the process and slowing us down with constant requests for 2D CAD exports or PDF files. Can Revit Structure be used for structural analysis?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
omusafer
in reply to: LyleHardin

Hi everyone,

While I am still an Engineer in Training, Our company uses both Revit and Robot. Usually we have drafters to do both the modelling and drafting and an engineer to do the engineering. I am probably the only one in the company that knows how to use Revit quite extensively and Robot Structural Analysis (Still have some improvements to make on RSA). Typically most engineers (senior level) don't get into the habit of using Revit structure since they get too occupied with the engineering and know how to use AutoCAD only so their reason is that since that works for them, there is no reason to go beyond that. I do seem to notice that the senior engineers who are more technologically inclined prefer to move into 3D environment if given the chance.

Even in most engineering schools, students are given just basic AutoCAD training and not much emphasis is given to proper drafting or 3D modelling. I took no courses in Revit but learned it myself since I had an interest in visualizing engineering models in 3D rather than 2D. My drafting experience improved after personally working with a lot of drafters.

It will take time before 3D becomes the norm in the indusrty since there a lot of people that still believe 2D is the way to go. Then again, I'd assume it was probably a similar mentality before 2D AutoCAD drawings became the norm vs. hand drawn drawings.

Just my 0.02$.

Message 22 of 25
LyleHardin
in reply to: omusafer

Thanks. I agree that CAD to BIM is having very similar growing pains as HAND to CAD did 20-30 years ago.

I also find, frustratingly sometimes, that Engineers grasp and understand CAD and BIM software much quicker than other people do. Even better and quicker than some people with 2 year technology degrees in CAD Drafting. But, an engineer should be designing, not drafting.

The new software such as Revit makes it more practical for an Engineer or Designer to use because they can design on the fly, in 3D, and even do some rudimentary analysis while they work. Often times they do this more efficiently than marking up a drawing for a drafter to replicate, then hand back to the engineer for checking.

It takes a good CAD / BIM manager to get the software set up properly so the Engineer can concentrate on engineering and design rather than spending half the day getting a print to look good.

The Drafter days are waning, but it's still a good idea to have a skilled drafter who knows what the design is and what it's trying to communicate to make the drawings look good if the Engineer or Designer can't do so themselves.

Message 23 of 25
recdollygesma
in reply to: bward

There are some instances that exporting files from revit to staad is helpful particularly complex model, but my experience, I still prefer to enter loads and other parameter in staad model, this is just to reduce time in fixing errors.

@bward wrote:

Yes that does help. My purpose for the post was just to solicate opinions from structural engineers and try to determine if it is a software limitation or them just not wanting to change or adapt. I know initially the software was very imature from a structural perspective. I would not push someone to use a tool that did not make their life easier.

In the analitical model, are all of hte 3D sticks manipulated in Revit and exported to STAAD for analysis, i.e. one way direction, or to you have two seperate models in two seperate software packages?

time in fixing errors.  

Message 24 of 25
parv.gapple

Yes, Revit is a great support to structural engineers. As a professional in the same trade, I am using Revit for designing, detailing, and construction documentation. As per my experience on BIM projects, I have produced accurate design models, providing stakeholders with the required information for structural installation. Starting from the conceptual design-build stage to implementation, the Revit structural model has helped me deliver efficient designs in the BIM system. Using Autodesk Revit, I have successfully managed 3D video walkthroughs, detected clashes and produced a complete construction drawing set. To me, it's a great program, which takes care of every complex task and it's an excellent, innovative tool for architectural, structural, and MEP services.

I have implemented Autodesk Revit for BIM structural analysis, collaborating with StaddPro and successfully tested structural loads and live load calculation. Further, I performed comprehensive element analysis for columns, beams and floors for risk-free project delivery. Revit structural model also helped me and my team members to validate designs for constructability, performance and maintenance of building structure.

Through Revit BIM, we often calculate Quantity Takeoff and Cost Estimation, enhancing project productivity. If you want to plan, prepare and improve your building facility lifecycle performance, Revit would just be an ideal option. AEC clients and project stakeholders are seeking Revit to integrate procurement, contract and document management systems. I find it to be one of the best BIM software applications, that help my team members to control cost, evaluate budget, make the thermal analysis of building and manage risks for construction project management.

Message 25 of 25
Jason.P

Have work for Structural Engineers for over 22 years now. The consulting firm I am with now as the BIM manager is involved in many types of projects providing structural services. we do everything from houses, to hospitals, multifamily / mulit story, steel, wood etc etc. Pretty well you name it building wise we do it. 
A few years ago, they made the choice to go fully down the BIM trail and brought me on board to help with that. As well since we are a smaller firm still do some production work. 
Long story short, is the majority of all our new construction projects are done in Revit. We have the drafting/modeling team start the model and "layout" the structural elements, we really using the analytical model in Revit and have seperate views in our model that allows us to do a review and modify the analytical model as we need. once it is time for design we will round trip with the engineering staff, who use Risa mostly. 

we have had a few hickups but have been able to work our way through it, and it works really well. 

There is no reason why any Structural engineering firm could not work in revit, and do a full and proper BIM work flow project. With exporting and importing to either software .

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report