Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Views

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ccurley
1367 Views, 7 Replies

Detail Views

Hi All,

I am currently overviewing the Revit Structure Package, excellent in producing an overall building model. Now where I am a little disappointed (at least as far as i understand) to find out that there is an equal amount of drawing work as in Autocad in providing detailed views of sections and the like, per say to include finer details on sections such as bolts, membranes etc. From the tutorial videos I have viewed that seems to be the case.

So I'd love to hear from experienced users if this is actually the case and how they deal with this aspect of the design documentation. I'd also be very appreciative of working drawings from someone in the structural discipline.

Many Thanks,

Chris. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
subhra_civil
in reply to: ccurley

Hi,

Just go to Insert > Load Family > Select Matric or Imperial > Detail Items > Division 5 - Metals > 05090-Metal Fastenings. Follow this path and i think you will get your requirement for detailing.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Message 3 of 8
gguevarra
in reply to: ccurley

This is partially true in my experience. But there are several things that factor in to one's impressions on this. A lot of it is dependent on how detailed and accurate your model is. You can develop a lot of 3D families that you can include in your model such that when you take a live cut of the connection, you don't have to include as many detail components. Accuracy plays a part because if you have modeled your elements in the proper locations, elevations and angles, then you won't have to replace those live elements with 2D components that depict a more accurate layout. I agree that there is a good amount of work that needs to go into the detail view to clean up member graphics, drawing elements that are not modeled because of level of detail vs value added, etc. Annotations and dimensions will always have to be added in the detail view. But I don't know very many companies that are compensated enough to model every single stud, plate, bolt, gusset, etc. That being the case, it's just more cost-efficient to leave things like that out of the model and let them be 2D components.

Bottom line is that there is happy medium between how much you're being compensated, what is required to be in the model, and what is the most cost effective method of identifying everything.

Message 4 of 8
ccurley
in reply to: gguevarra

Message 5 of 8
dancib7

well I dont know how to create topic so i need to go this way sry.. well I have problems in Acad 2015 student version with detail views or any command within layout tab .. for every command it says ' Unable to perform the required action.This drawing was last edited with model documentation in a newer version of Autocad' I dont get it, I have Acad 2015 and only that.

Message 6 of 8
hidagamers
in reply to: dancib7

yes same problem here

Message 7 of 8

I would say definetly less work for detailing vs Autocad, when using detailing components vs linework.
Message 8 of 8
BillL909

I am new to Revit, and have basically the same question and concern as the original poster. I am still trying to understand the concept of Revit modeling and its purpose as opposed to 2D CAD drafting. As I understand things so far, the idea of a Revit model is to provide a big picture overview of the structure being designed with basic walls, floors, roofs, overall dimensions, window and door features, openings, etc.; but the small details such as connections between floors and walls, walls and roofs, individual stud and top plate details, and foundation details are left to separate 2D annotations which are not included as part of the model. Is this a correct interpretation?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report