Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved beam for barrel roof

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2051 Views, 3 Replies

Curved beam for barrel roof

Can anyone walk me through how to model a curved beam to the underside of a curved barrel roof? I've copied and pasted the Architect's roof diaphragm into my structural model, but I'm not sure how to model a curved beam that can exactly match the underside of the barrel shape. Thank for your help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Max.Kotsar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, gguevarra!

It would be excelent if you attach some screenshots or pictures to your questions.

Max Kotsar

Сообщение полезно - Проблема решена -
Message 3 of 4
DParkRMAK
in reply to: Anonymous

To make an arched beam you need to have vertical workplane to create the beam. You can now create a beam using the draw tools and either draw a curve or pick existing geometry to make your beam. Use the cross section rotation value to rotate the member as needed.

arch beam 1.PNGarch beam 2.PNG

I needed to rotate the profile 90° and flip it.

arch beam 3.PNG

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: DParkRMAK

Thanks for the input. Creating a curved beam as you noted makes sense. To me, the difficult part is when you have an existing curved roof that is modeled that you are trying to use as your work plane / reference plane. I've uploaded a picture showing the curved roof. At this point I've just copied and pasted the Architect's roof into my Structural model. But to create the curved beam that matches the roof's curve has been a little trickier. My first attempt was copying and pasting the Architect's mass into my model, but obviously this is not a "beam." My second attempt was using the Truss tool. I placed a curved top chord that matches the curved roof and then deleted the webs and bottom chord. This is probably good enough for what I'm doing, but I feel like there might be a better way. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report