Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concrete Floors, Beams and Columns

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
lmpka
1453 Views, 5 Replies

Concrete Floors, Beams and Columns

I'm working on a project with concrete floors and beams (and columns) and was having trouble getting some of the beams to join to the floors, and getting the message "Can't cut joined element".

I was preparing a cut down version to isolate the problem and noticed that it's only a problem where a column goes through the beam/floor.  If I remove the column, I can then join the beam to the floor with no problem, and then I can put the column back in and the beam and the floor stay joined, but that seems kludgy and would be difficult to maintain later on.

Also, I've noticed that if I lower the beam using the z-value, I can then successfully join the beam to the slab.

First, is this a bug that can be fixed, or is there a reason for this?

Otherwise, what is the best practice? I realize that you can break up the column by floors, but with a 20 story building, you then have 20 times the number of columns.

Here are the alternative options as I see them:

- break columns up by floor (con: higher maintenance when columns change)

- Make beams thinner to compensate for slab thickness and change Z value (extra value that can be off - misuse of z value?)

- Make beams thinner to compensate and attach to a reference plan at the bottom of the slab (extra maintenance of reference plans)

Any thoughts/feedback?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lmpka
in reply to: lmpka

Attached is a portion of the model

Revit 2015

Message 3 of 6
Max.Kotsar

Hi, Impka!

Don't see it

Max Kotsar

Сообщение полезно - Проблема решена -
Message 4 of 6
lmpka
in reply to: Max.Kotsar

Sorry about that.  The webpage didn't accept it. "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Can't upload it here.

Message 5 of 6
lmpka
Message 6 of 6
Rafal.Gaweda

Try this way:

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report