Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex AutoCAD solids to Revit

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bjorn_grim
1241 Views, 1 Reply

Complex AutoCAD solids to Revit

Hi all.

I know there are several threads concerning this general topic. I have read a few of them and have seen that importing dwg solids into Revit is discouraged, so I don't need that particular piece of advice. Also, please exceuse any poor grammar or bad spelling as english is not my native language.

This is my situation: I'm modelling bridges using an AutoCAD addon software called Novapoint. The road planners use the same software which allows me to connect my bridge deck geometry to the road and easily draw 3D sections following the road in world coordinates.

Next I want to bring the bridge deck into Revit so that I can model abutments, pillars and foundations before generating sections for drawings. Using the Revit bridge extension require me to define the cross section geometry manually, so this is more or less out of the question.

I see two possibilities:

1. Lofting the sections in Autocad and importing the solids to Revit as in-place mass or generic family. Doing this, I can't seem to cut the geometry.

2. Linking the dwg containing the profiles, creating a reference plane in every section and generating the 3D element by picking lines. This takes a lot of work and has to be done all over again when the road geometry changes.

As a third option I could use method 2 for the bridge deck and then sweeping a profile along the edges to make other elements. However, as the bridge geometry curves in both the horizontal and vertical plane, the work plane for the profile twists along the length. Is there any way to correct this?

Any tips or help on this would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to check out my attached dwg's containing the profiles and the solids.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
P.Vlaar
in reply to: bjorn_grim

Hi Bjorn,

I had the same problem with a civil project, The roaddesign was made in MX

N31.png

I used Dynamo to create the 3D model of the roads design. Dynamo is a visual scripting tool thats free available from autodesk (http://autodeskvasari.com/dynamo)

I recieved the model from road desgin in autoCAD. In that model I used the edge of the asphalt as reference. With CADTools (http://www.glamsen.se/CadTools.htm) I exported an (XYZ) Excel file from the reference lines. With the excel file I could recreate the line in Dynamo. Witihin dynamo I divide the line with points, you can choos various options (fixed distance or number etc). Then I created a adaptive component for the road section and placed them on the points. If youve set your porject up like this then its easy  to update when the road design changes. 

If youre intrested I can give you more inside info if needed.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report