Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see beams

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
reanhook
11812 Views, 10 Replies

Can't see beams

hello,

this is the first time we are using revit and we placed all of our columns in the model from the architect. this model has floors slabs reflected ceilings etc.

my columns show up on the floor plans but when i go to draw the beams after i draw it, its tells me it cant be seen on the view and i should adjust stuff but cant figure out where or what to change. my beams are at the proper offset from the slab and i know it drew them for my sections show them but nothing on the floor plan and all i can see on the reflected ceiling is the ceiling grid and it wont let me turn it off.

Help
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: reanhook

are you putting yuor beams in the architect's model?
if that is the case you are doing it wrong.
you need to link the arch model to get the locations of your columns and copy any bearing walls from the arch model.
if not...... see below
did you check your view range?
if you had the little 3D box checked they might have gone to the top of the column
Message 3 of 11
reanhook

Hi,

you are correct I am drawing it in the architects model. i understand the point in linking the models but how does one go about doing this?

any website references or articles would be appreciated as well as written directions here.

thanks Ryan
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

hmmm...i don't know if you have taken any revit instruction, if you haven't that would be my first suggestion.
I don't have revit in front of me but if you go to file-import/link-revit and at the bottom of that window check the insertion as origin to origin.
there are also tutorials under the help menu...just follow the instructions
Message 5 of 11
reanhook

ok i got the file linked and the grid, columns came in from revit arch that the architect i assumed was designated structural.

why didnt my layers convert to his my are still at level 1, 2... and when i try to add columns they wont snap to my linked grid?

do i still need to draw a grid?
Message 6 of 11
Joe.Charpentier

If you are trying to learn Revit through "on the job training", you could be in for a rough time.

The tutorials should explain how to do all of the questions you are asking.
It seems you are getting stuck on the basic concepts of how Revit works.
I would take the time to work through the tutorials before you go any further.

Good luck,
Joe
Message 7 of 11
KSI_Thor

I made the assumption that if I knew Microstation and AutoCAD, I could just open Revit and go! I had to hit the ground running with our first project 2 years ago. I worked allot of my own time with the book opened in front of me. I would urge people to bite the bullet and take at least the first level of training. It will save you tons of time in the long run because it is nothing like any of the previous CAD tools.
Message 8 of 11

Welcome to the world of Revit Pain.

1) get training
2) You cannot see what you just drew because it is just below the view range of the level you drew it on. Right mouse button, click "View Properties" Hunt for the "edit" button about 2/3rds of the way down the pop up window, left click the "Edit" button by "View" in the new pop up window look at the bottom where it says "Bottom View" and click "unlimited". Close all windows. Now you can see what you just drew.
3) Get training or you will find yourself standing on a rickety chair with a noose around your neck. like me and so many others who entered into this world of pain.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

you might also want to look into making the floor slabs transparent.

wrote in message news:5986763@discussion.autodesk.com...
hello,

this is the first time we are using revit and we placed all of our columns
in the model from the architect. this model has floors slabs reflected
ceilings etc.

my columns show up on the floor plans but when i go to draw the beams after
i draw it, its tells me it cant be seen on the view and i should adjust
stuff but cant figure out where or what to change. my beams are at the
proper offset from the slab and i know it drew them for my sections show
them but nothing on the floor plan and all i can see on the reflected
ceiling is the ceiling grid and it wont let me turn it off.

Help
Message 10 of 11
oconnop1
in reply to: KSI_Thor

LOL.  I just finished my first class on Revit a week ago.  The class was just basically working through the textbook "Residential Design Using AutoDesk Revit 2019"  Well that was half of the class.  The first 8 weeks was learning AutoCad which I already knew from years of using it.  I also spent the previous semester learning Sketchup, and also Just finished a semester on Inventor.  My point is that even with all the knowledge I have on the other programs the thought of just jumping into Revit with no instruction is exhausting!  I agree there are many programs out there that you can jump in and teach yourself if you have experience with other similar programs, but Revit is not one of them because as far as I know there are not any similar programs.  I would definitely suggest taking a beginners class on Revit or at the very least get the book I referred to above or something similar and work through it.  The book I used has you build a house start to finish so by the time your done you have the basic skills to do so.  I will be taking another 3 semesters on Revit so I know there is MUCH more to learn.  I dont think taking actual college courses is necessary, but definitely work through the books the courses at your local college would use in the classes.  Good Luck!

Message 11 of 11
DavidDillonJr

@oconnop1  When creating beams make sure you set your placement plane to the level you are working on.

ddillon_0-1590726039744.png

Also make sure your discipline is set to structural. A framing plan will show up single line schematic line work in plans FYI structural usage will change the line weight of the beam. 

I suggest this video that explains it much better than myself on Autodesk Design Academy, just use your Autodesk ID to login.

ddillon_1-1590726506034.png

You will see a lot of very good lessons here not just beam. 

David Dillon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report