Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't section through center of revolved mass ... Please help me.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JillMarsano5345
893 Views, 8 Replies

Can't section through center of revolved mass ... Please help me.

I modeled the outside of a clarifier (wastewater) with the revolve tool as a mass (because I like how I can join geometry easily) ...

I cannot section through the center of it and see the lines. This will be the most common plane I section through the structure. Any ideas?

pictures below ...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Please...

Message 3 of 9
awes
in reply to: JillMarsano5345

Hmm... you're looking for a section through center of revolved mass like this? What do you see in your section?

Message 4 of 9
JillMarsano5345
in reply to: awes

the photo above .. "dumb section" is the result ...

Message 5 of 9
JillMarsano5345

Hey,

I figured out that the best way to model an involved concrete structure is to use the "complex and trusses" structural template. The modeling tools are also more user friendly.

Thanks for your help today

Message 6 of 9

still a problem ... you can section anywhere through the model and see it accurately. The problem is that you can't snap to anything in the section view ... except for a few horizontal lines. How is anyone suppose to be accurate if they cannot snap to anything useful?

Message 7 of 9
gguevarra

I don't have a solution for you, sorry, but what you're experiencing is probably because it's a planar cut on a rounded element. The cut has some depth to it (modifying the view depth requires a value greater than 0'-0"), so Revit doesn't acknowledge an exact intersection between the cut and the edges. It's similar as to why a live section that's ever so slightly skewed from a grid line will not show the grid line in the section view. In the few instances where I've run into this, I've never had to be exactly in-line with the edge, so the "close-enough" rule worked for me. Sad, I know.

Message 8 of 9
awes

It's not that easy to dimension such a section but maybe in future versions. Meanwhile insert a ref plane through center of revolved mass. Now it's easier to add a section exactly. You can always snap to corner points and find them using TAB. Insert ref planes tangential to surface and dimension to ref plane.

What kind of dimensions would you like to add?

Message 9 of 9
JillMarsano5345

It isn't important for me to be able to dimension. I am attempting to create a sump pit at the bottom of a conical shaped floor ... with voids for pipes, etc... It is very hard to put ion words. I know I can get it down and will show you what I was attempting to do. Maybe then you could show me where I went wrong...

Revit NEEDS to rethink their family editor/mass tools ... its maddening.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report