Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can only assign one material to entire family - not in parts

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1088 Views, 3 Replies

can only assign one material to entire family - not in parts

I am attempting to make a very simple wall based gernic family that consists of two extrusions.

I want one extrusion to be rubber and he other to be metal.

When I change one of the extrusion materials in the properties box, the other extrusion also changes to that material.

Why is the entire family changing its material when I edit a single part of i?

-Pat

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
gregamhale
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to assign a material parameter to each extruded object in the Revit family.  Edit the family, then select the part that you want to modify.  Within the properties, select the link button within the properties palette for Material.  Then select "Add Parameter" and assign that object a new material parameter.  Save the family and load it back into your project.  You should then be able to change the material of that part.  

I also recommend assing the extruded part to a subcategory withion the family.  For something like a door, an example of this might be the "door frame" and "door panel."  That way you can control the graphics of the part within the Visibility Graphics of the view.  To do this, edit the family, and go to the Object Styles on the Manage tab.  Then create a new subcategory.  Once created, select your part and change its subcategory within the properties palette.

Hope that helps. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: gregamhale

Thanks, I figured that because material was an option in the properties box, that it would be the way to assign a part a material that couldn't be changed from the "Edit type" box in the project.  

Message 4 of 4
czarneckij0126
in reply to: gregamhale

I cannot express to you how thankful I am for your instructions here. I’ve been trying to figure this out for over a year. This saved so many renderings and so much time

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report