Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i apply attributes to a family the same as a dynamic block in autocad?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pindansr
606 Views, 2 Replies

Can i apply attributes to a family the same as a dynamic block in autocad?

I work for a structural drafting company that uses both Autocad and revit, who wish to eventually phase out autocad and use revit for all structural drawings in future.

In autocad i've created structural steel dynamic blocks with these parameters applied

Max length: 8 metres max stretch length

Length text updates when block is stretched

Text is also on a separate layer so i can switch on/off text in viewports as required

Lenghs are able to be used in data extraction for ordering.

Am i able to create structural beam families in revit that will allow me to use above attributes, as well as have the beam display text on top of the beam to better identify the beams and joists of a layout for the workshop. Because currently i am shading all the joists with a colour table and manually typing in each length to be shown above the beam which can be quite tedious if there's a lot of joists in the building.

I've attached a dynamic block from autocad which is an example of the one i would like to be able to create in revit

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
P.Vlaar
in reply to: pindansr

Yes that's possible,

I Created a structural framing family see attachment, Im not sure if the beam still functions correctly when you join with other elements. 

I created a nested annotation family wich reads out the length and the description of the beam. you can also link the tag to other properties. 

If the beam doesnt join correctly then you could also delete the L parameter and set it up as default again. Then you can still use the annotion family. An other sollution can be that you make a filter for all beams that are longer then 8meters and give them a colour overide than you can easily see al the beams that are onger than 8m.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 3
acwolfe4TMW4
in reply to: P.Vlaar

Hi  P.Vlaar,

I saw this post, I'm very interested in learning more on how to do this.  Could you describe this process for me?  You said "I created a nested annotation family which reads out the length and the description of the beam. you can also link the tag to other properties."  

I'd like to be able to do this.  But I'm not sure how.  

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report