Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connections in Autodesk Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3575 Views, 6 Replies

Bolted Connections in Autodesk Revit

I downloaded trial version of Autodesk Revit and was evaluating it. I quicly went through the tutorials and now have an understanding of how the structural modeling in Revit works.

I did not find any materials on Bolted Connections between the structural members though. Revit should be able to do bolted connecitons just like any other structural designing softwares shouldn't it?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Help! Anyone? Please.

Message 3 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

There are no specific tools for designing and detailing bolted connections within Revit.

You can detail connections by creating some loaded face-base families and extending/trimming beam and column elements as necessary.

There are also a number of extensions and add-ons for Revit that contain this functionality.

Joe

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

I am surpirsed that Revit does not have ability do design and detailing of bolted connections. I assume AutoCAD Structural Detailing does have it though (Both of these come with Building Design Suite). So I would have to design the structural steel in Revit and export it to AutoCAD Structural Detailing and do design and detailing of the bolted connection there?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

When I look at the features section of Autodesk Revit, I see this picture saying "Improved Positioning of Beams and Braces". It shows bolted connections. Apparently its not done in Revit?

Message 6 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

It is possible do this type of modeling in Revit- the example that you show is a Revit model.

However, as I said, there are no specific tools inside Revit to model connections.  You can do this type of modeling by creating your own Revit families.

There are no dialogs or “wizards” that automate this kind of modeling within Revit.

If you are a subscription customer, there are a number of extensions that you can download from the Autodesk subscription site that provide additional detailing capabilities. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-AGJeMCfhY)

Also, as I said in my previous post, there are a number of other partners (such as SDS/2 and CSC) that provide add-ons for steel detailing.

Also, you should note that “design” (that is member sizing and code checking) is not done within Revit.  This is accomplished through add-ins that either:

-facilitate the transfer of data back and forth between Revit and your analysis program.

-runs the analysis in the add in, and provides that data to Revit.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Joe

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

So if we model the steel structure in Revit and import in Autocad Structural Detailing, will we be able to do that bolted connections modeling. I believe ASD has some wizard that has some degree of automation with bolted connections.

When I say design I am not worried about the code checking or member sizing. I'm just talking about the modeling.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report