Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beam system tags

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
haydenwse
1251 Views, 9 Replies

beam system tags

Is there any way to list the number of beams in a beam system tag?  I am working on a project that has lots of different sized systems in it would be nice to have it list the quantity.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
engr_mondo
in reply to: haydenwse

Yes, you can abuse RST Schedule feature.
Regards,

Mondo
Message 3 of 10
haydenwse

How do you do it?  I have gone into the family editor for the beam system tag an it doesn't have a parameter for number of beams, count or anything like that.  the number of members shows up in the beams system properties dialog box but I can't find similar info in the tag.

Message 4 of 10
yosso

Do you want to show the actual quantity in the Beam Tag?  For example, W10x12 (22), which would denote that you had 22 W10x12's in the project?  

Message 5 of 10
haydenwse

Yes, that is exactly what I need.  Can it be done?

Message 6 of 10
yosso

I meandered about the web at lunch - and found a topic where they created a shared parameter and placed the shared parameter in a tag as part of label.  

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/families/

and

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-create-shared-parameters-revit-architecture-255295/

I need to get back to "work" no more exploring the wonderful, wacky world of Revit - but maybe you can cull some wisdom from the videos. Smiley Happy

Mike

Message 7 of 10
yosso
in reply to: yosso

Still not what you want, but I created a shared parameter and added the shared parameter to the beam system tag.  You have to manually enter the quantity in the properties, so it's not auto-magic. Smiley Indifferent

Anyway, my Revit "play-time/lunch-time" is over, back to the real world. Smiley Sad

Good luck.

Mike

Message 8 of 10
haydenwse
in reply to: yosso

i was able to do that as well but it is really frustrating to have a quantity listed in the perameters dialog box and not be able to list it in a tag.  As Charlie Brown would say, AAAAHHHHHH

Message 9 of 10
mwrhalliday

I am having the same issue my firm uses the following format to label joists on our drawings:

TYPE MARK QUANTITY @ SPACING = TOTAL EXTENT

We have to workout and enter the quantity manually which is not desirable. My next step is to look at the Revit API and see if I can do it that way. It's annoying that revit works out the amount bit doesn't make it directly available.

I will be sure to share my code if u can get it working.

Mike.
Message 10 of 10
haydenwse
in reply to: mwrhalliday

Thanks.

This is just as frustrating as Revit not being "able" to calculate the CG of an element. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report