Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam elevations - Z offset vs. end offset

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DParkRMAK
1502 Views, 2 Replies

Beam elevations - Z offset vs. end offset

I would like to get some input on what is considered best practice for changing the elvation of beams and beam elevation tagging.

My thinking is that the end offset values are only for sloped beams and with level beams you should use the z offset value. This is mainly for the simple reason that you only enter one value instead of two. I have found that when using the beam elevation tool with the tag set to show Actual selected elevation, you get incorrect values if the elevation of a beam is changed using the Z offset value rather than the end offset values. The elevation tag set to actual selected will show the elevation of the level the beam is associated with. I know the way the beam elevation tool works has evolved somewhat since RST2013 but this issue still occurs in RST2015.

I would like to know what others have adopted as standard practice for placing beams and tagging beam elevations.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
LyleHardin
in reply to: DParkRMAK

Old post, I know, but I had/have the exact same question.

It made me do some experimentation.

If you look at the analytical lines, you'll see the difference.

When you change the Z Offset, the analytical lines remain on the level which the beam was placed.

When you change the Start and End Level Offset, the analytical lines follow your offset.

The beam elevation tags show the analytical line elevations.

If you have a sloped beam, I'm not sure what the beam elevation tag is showing. It's something in between the two ends, but it's not the midpoint of the top of beam like I figured it would be.

Also, changing the Z offset affects the location of the beam when you change the cross section rotation. Beams rotate about the analytical line.

This comes into play especially with angles and channels.

So, my opinion is to use the two End Offset values if you want the analytical lines to be worth anything and to have better results if you rotate the beam's cross section.

Message 3 of 3
draft1
in reply to: LyleHardin

Regarding this issue: tagging beam framing and including a parameter for top of steel elevation, z-offset vs. start/end level offset, I just discovered this post (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-structure-forum/framing-tag-with-elevation-at-top/td-p/6380062) that gives me hope it will be possible to create a tag that will calculate and display an actual top of steel elevation for beams that use the z-offset - after we finally switch over to using R2017 or later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report