Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Seek problems....

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JRapid
757 Views, 4 Replies

Autodesk Seek problems....

I upgraded to 2011 and now I can't open items that I downloaded from Autodesk Seek. The message says that it can't find the program to open them with. Anyone know what program I need?

Thanks, Josh
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JRapid
in reply to: JRapid

I realized that Revit 2011 uses .rvt files vs. .rfa files. Since I removed 2010, I didn't have a program to open .rfa files. Once I reloaded 2010, I was able to open the .rfa files in 2011, which then automatically converted them to .rvt files.

Lesson of the day; when upgrading to 2011, leave 2010 installed.........just in case.

Josh
Message 3 of 5
Joe.Charpentier

Revit 2011 will open .rfa files.

Start Revit.
Appmenu (Big "R")>open>Family
Browse to file.
Open it.

You can also select the RFA file in Windows explorer, right click>"Open With" and select Revit.

Don't forget if you only have 2011, and are working with an architect who has 2010, he will not be able to use your files.

Joe
Message 4 of 5
JRapid

I have 2010 and 2011. When I installed 2011, I removed 2010. When I only had 2011 on my machine, I could not open a .rfa file by the methods you described. It was not until I re-installed 2010 that I was able to open .rfa in 2011.

Oh well, all is good now. Thanks for the reply.
Message 5 of 5
Joe.Charpentier

Wow, so you're saying that in after uninstalling r2010, from inside r2011, you couldn't even open a family file? (Not from Windows explorer)

That's completely bizarre.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report