Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly part list template

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
haydenwse
3671 Views, 12 Replies

Assembly part list template

The "create Assembly Views" function will build a part list but it doesn't come in with the correct fields so I need to go into each an set it up to my needs.  Is there some way to set up a template so that the schedule will build correctly?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
alan.quinn
in reply to: haydenwse

See below:

You said: The "create Assembly Views" function will build a part list but it doesn't come in with the correct fields

My Comments: What do you mean by “it doesn't come in with the correct fields”.

You said: Is there some way to set up a template so that the schedule will build correctly?

My Comments: I would assume that you can. Given that you can create any number of schedules to populate a template. However, since the parts list is generated after the fact I’m not sure you will be able to pre-populate.

Thank you,

Message 3 of 13
haydenwse

When I create views I would like to be able to set up a template so that the views created would be close to what I use.

Best case steps would as follows.

• Scale would be preset to standard instead of needing to select scale.
  • Title block would be set to standard instead of needing to select from list.  On this project I have 14 different titleblocks that are used and I have project that need more than that so it can add time to each assembly.  When you need to create hundreds of assemblies it adds up.
  • Create a material list that has the “fields, filters, sorting/grouping, formatting and appearance”  set to the project standards.  I have attached a screen shot of the parts list that is auto generated and the one that I use.  I also have a word document that I give my drafter for all the steps required to make the changes.  It adds up to several minutes per schedule which adds a significant amount of time that I would like to recoup.
Message 4 of 13
haydenwse

Here is a screen shot of the list that is auto generated and the one that is edited to my standard.

Message 5 of 13
alan.quinn

See below:

You said: Scale would be preset to standard instead of needing to select scale.

My comments: Currently you have to select it.

You said: Title block would be set to standard instead of needing to select from list.  On this project I have 14 different titleblocks that are used and I have project that need more than that so it can add time to each assembly.  When you need to create hundreds of assemblies it adds up.

My comments: Currently you have to select it.

You said: Create a material list that has the “fields, filters, sorting/grouping, formatting and appearance”  set to the project standards.  I have attached a screen shot of the parts list that is auto generated and the one that I use.  I also have a word document that I give my drafter for all the steps required to make the changes.  It adds up to several minutes per schedule which adds a significant amount of time that I would like to recoup.

My comments: The current list is how Revit will do it. I’m not sure if this will change in the future to allow more customization. However, I wonder if this information could be extracted via the API and returned to Revit in the manner that you want.

I would seem that all are limitations of the application in its current state. Unfortunately I’m not sure what else to add, but perhaps another forum member will have additional information.

Thank you,

Message 6 of 13
iframe_02

It seems weird that we are not able to chage the parts list schedule to change globally. You have made a great tool allowing us to create panels and parts view easily but you have fallen short on the one thing that is most important "the schedule" My company does individual panels and in one project I have over 500+ panels. Thats 500+ schedule changes, that sucks!!!. Any advice on a work around? This cant be the way autodesk intended this to be.

Message 7 of 13
haydenwse

Yep.  As I see it, there are two huge shortcomings in the Assemblies process.

1. Schedule template

2. Inability to have nested assemblies or sub-assemblies.

I have heard rumors that there are significant improvements to the assemblies in the 2013 release so I am hopeful.

Message 8 of 13
iframe_02

Hey Thanks for the reply. The bad thing is that I am using 2013. This assembly tool is useful but I still have to do a ton of work that Revit should do for me. If you hear of something coming out to help with this please post it.

Message 9 of 13
haydenwse

I plan on downloading 2013 and evaluating it as soon as it is available.  It should have been out last week but only arch and mep have downloads.

Message 10 of 13
Joe.Charpentier

If you are just evaluating, you can download Revit 2013, which contains all the functionality of Revit Architecture, Revit Structure, and Revit MEP:

http://usa.autodesk.com/revit/trial/

Joe 

Message 11 of 13
iframe_02

Wholey cow I am frustrated. I need some help with this issue. I have 500+ panels that I have created assemblies for. If I use the auto option by right clicking on the assembly name then I get a group of views. When I go to the views they are a default that autodesk has set up. I want to create my own defaults for the "Create assembly views". To be specific I dont want to have the schedule populate with Catagory, Family/Type, count. I want my data as a default template so I do not have to edit 500+ schedules. I would also like the detail views to say Exterior and Interior instead of

Elevation front, back, left, right.

If anybody knows how to do this or can offer me some insight on this I sure would appreciate it. Autodesk told me to ask my reseller??? I appreciate your time in advance.

Rick

Message 12 of 13

I'm also interested in knowing how to fix this.  In addition, how do you define default view templates for the other views (elevations, details, isometric, etc.)?

Message 13 of 13

+1 on all of the comments here.  I need the part list to have different columns than the default (IE Mark, Type Mark, Cut Length, etc.).  Could be a great tool, but needs some minor improvements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report