Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As-Built Model, Irregular slab, various elevations, Any idea?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mtahmasebi
8883 Views, 2 Replies

As-Built Model, Irregular slab, various elevations, Any idea?

Hi, 

We are creating an as-built structural model from a surveyed CAD file. There is an irregular shaped grade beam with different elevation at top surface corners. I created an Adaptive Generic Model with quadrilateral shape based in which the 4 bottom points are adaptive and the 4 top points to be parametric, to be defined in the model based on the survey while creating the slab.

Now the problems I encountered are:

1. My slab is splited into multiple seperate forms. i.e. imagine many quadrilateral shapes each with 4 different elevations. 
i.g. as its shown in pic1, for only one section, I had to split to 9 different sub-shapes to cover the whole area with my  quadrilateral shapes. Pic2 shows the perspective. 

2. The forms are all referenced to a level which requires redefining all the elevations in case of any future changes.

3. I would like it to be an structural foundation family rather than a generic model. 

Does anyone have an idea for a better alternative method regarding these problems???

Thanks,.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
maciejwypych
in reply to: mtahmasebi

@mtahmasebi wrote:

Hi, 

We are creating an as-built structural model from a surveyed CAD file. There is an irregular shaped grade beam with different elevation at top surface corners. I created an Adaptive Generic Model with quadrilateral shape based in which the 4 bottom points are adaptive and the 4 top points to be parametric, to be defined in the model based on the survey while creating the slab.

Now the problems I encountered are:

1. My slab is splited into multiple seperate forms. i.e. imagine many quadrilateral shapes each with 4 different elevations. 
i.g. as its shown in pic1, for only one section, I had to split to 9 different sub-shapes to cover the whole area with my  quadrilateral shapes. Pic2 shows the perspective. 

2. The forms are all referenced to a level which requires redefining all the elevations in case of any future changes.

3. I would like it to be an structural foundation family rather than a generic model. 

Does anyone have an idea for a better alternative method regarding these problems???

Thanks,.

Hi,

I don't really know why you used adaptive family. These look like simple extrusions to me? Or does it vary along it's length?

Just out of curiosity, why you need to split the shape into so many elements? Are these different materials?

Use a structural foundation family template to create your slab insted of adaptive, or a generic family and change category to structural fundation.

Also, you can use the build in slab edges to create the shape of your slab with profiles loaded for each shape, so you can have more control over each of them.

Message 3 of 3
gregamhale
in reply to: maciejwypych

Often overlooked is the ability to create In-Place families.  I think it is appropriate to use in this kind of situation.  That way you can use extrusions, blends, sweeps, etc... to match whatever shapes you need.  You can also categorize the family however you need.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report