Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply Diameter Parameter to Beam Family

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
sam.z
4462 Views, 2 Replies

Apply Diameter Parameter to Beam Family

Hello

I am a computer programmer attempting to apply a parameter to a relatively simple family so please forgive me for any ignorance 😛 Can you give me some advice on how I can apply a diameter parameter to my Pipe Family (the Family inherits from a Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces).

Below are images of my Family in its current state:

As you can see above I would like to apply a parameter called 'Pipe Diameter' that will set the diameter of the pipe. Can anyone provide advice on what steps I can take to achieve this?

Notes:
- Yes I am aware Revit has standard pipe families BUT I am writting an addin. And addins can only create pipes IF the user is in a MEP Project (in Revit 2013 this is solved in Revit 2014). So using standard pipes is not a solution to my question.
- The family was created by producing a Circular Extrusion in the Left view/elevation and then a Circular Void Extrusion. So maybe I can apply a reference line to the void extrusion then click that line and apply a parameter to it? Although I've tried this and it doesn't work but maybe I did it wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
conormccartney3897
in reply to: sam.z

Well, first you images did not load. Second is it necessary for you to do extrusion/void as opposed to concentric circles in your sketch? as for the diameter try placing your dimensions inside the profile sketch, sometimes works (i am assuming your using a circle). If that does not work, try making your profile using two arcs and locking the endpoints of the arcs to ref planes. And that's about all the help i can offer without the images.
Message 3 of 3
sam.z
in reply to: conormccartney3897

Wow, placing the Diameter Annotation in sketchMode/Edit Extrusion mode did it 😄

Thanks very much, its greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report