Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytical model for stair in order to analyse in robot structural analysis

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
muhimdegil
4060 Views, 15 Replies

Analytical model for stair in order to analyse in robot structural analysis

Hello! I'm trying to get analytical model of stair in revit 2014 in order to analyse my project in robot 2014. But I couldn't. And I modeled floors and slope floor such as stair. But analytical node and lines of floor and slope floor aren't connected. How can I succeed? Isn't there analytical model for stair in Revit 2014. Even I modeled structural stair from existing architectural stair, there still isn't anaylitical modeling option. Help me please! I can't find any answer on the internet.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
AJA14
in reply to: muhimdegil

Hi. Stairs are architectural elements as far as revit is concerned and have no analytical geometry, only physical. Model your stair as structural floors.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 16
muhimdegil
in reply to: AJA14

Hello! Thank you for reply sir AJA14. But there is still problem. When I modeled structural floor from "Model in place" tool as a stair, there is no option for analytical model. In other word even my stair becomes structural model it is not analytical so that I can't send it to the Robot Structural Analysis 2014 programm. I also used sloped floor and normal floor (structural) which represent a stair. Just maybe structures of sloped floor and normal floors could be similar to the structure of stair.  But analytical nodes and lines of normal floor and sloped floor aren't connected each other. If I use sloped beam then the structure of stair will be completely different. I hope you will give me a comprehensive answer. That will be a very helpful for my project. Thank you.

Message 4 of 16
thommynator

u can only model the stair landings, calculate the weight and load of the stair run and place a line load at the stair landings.

www.EnjoyBIM.de | Revit, Dynamo, BIM and more | High quality training and Consulting in Stuttgart

-----------------------------
Ihr fandet einen Beitrag hilfreich? Dann vergebt dafür doch Kudos!
Eure Frage wurde erfolgreich gelöst? Dann einfach auf den 'Als Lösung akzeptieren'-Button klicken!
Message 5 of 16
SerhanB

Hi muhimdegil, I found it as a time saver to analytically model stairs as sloped floors and assign pertinent area loads to them rather than calculating and creating line loads on edges. BUT thats valid only if your analytic stair is 100% in compliance with your 3D model. Slight differences between analytic and 3D model such as difference in slope and length will cause your model to get out of line. You'll end up with a stair with nodes and floor edges aren't connected and once the geometry isn't accurate they will never connect. I advise you to model a sloped floor with precisely correct sketch and height offsets. You may try to introduce an additional 0.1mm margin for offsets in your 3D model, I found it to work with success while aligning analytic floor. Once aligned you can revert back that 0.1mm In revit analytically modelling sloped floors for stairs ramps or roofs takes considerable effort, and sometimes you won't be able to do what you really want. Especially it's still practically not possible to model an analytic spiral ramp 😞
Serhan BAKIR
http://www.stand.com.tr/
Message 6 of 16
muhimdegil
in reply to: SerhanB

Hello sir! Thank you very much for your concern. And I'm sorry for being so late in thanking you. I've just read your mail now. Since I tried several ways and couldn't succeed, I gave it up. Generally in my country we use russian calculation software Lira 9.6 or SAP for analysing. Also russian code (SNIP). I tried to convert Euro Norm codes to Russian codes in order to use Robot And Revit. But I even couldn't handle RSA itlsef. So I decided to delay it and started some another researches. I didn't check this email for a long time. Now I'm planning to continue that work. I hope you will share your knowledge with me and help about it. Also hope that RSA and Revit2015 has new features such as analytical stair which wasn't in previous versions. 
Lastly I have a personal question for you if don't mind. Are you Turkish? If so I prefer to communicate with you in both languages. Cause my Turkish is better than my English.

Sincerely.. 
Message 7 of 16
Max.Kotsar

Hi, muhimdegil!

I use sloped structural floors for stairs modeling. As you can see in this case analytical model is correct. 

29-01-2015 15-58-37.png

P.S. RSA has last Russian codes (SP and SNiP). 

Max Kotsar

Сообщение полезно - Проблема решена -
Message 8 of 16

Max, that model looks great!

If anyone else is trying to do this, you have to remember to slope the floor using a slope arrow (within the sketch) in order to get a sloped  analytical model.

If you slope the floor using shape editing tools, you will get a flat analytical model.

The easiest way to do this is to set the head and tail of the slope arrow at the edge of the slab, and set the appropriate elevations.

Joe

Message 9 of 16
muhimdegil
in reply to: Max.Kotsar

Hi Max! Thank you very much. It was a quite helpful. I've almost done my modeling. But now I'm having problem with loads. I'm trying to define my load cases such as I did in LiRA 9.6 (russian analyisis software) before. I set the russian codes and other option. In LIRA software, first I define my load cases and then parameters of seismic loads are set. Also there is additional option that creates dynamic loads from static ones. For example: Let's say my 1st load case is dead load, 2nd one is live, 3rd one is seismic (X direction) and 4th one is also seismic (Y direction). In "Create dynamic load cases from static one" window there are 3 boxes: 1-dynamic load case number, 2-No.of corresponding static load case, 3-Conversion factor. In other word I create dynamic load case from static load cases (1st case*0.9; 2nd case*0.8, 3rd case*0.5 ) for seismic load X direction and same goes for Y direction seismic load. There is Load to mass conversion window in RSA but no textbox for dynamic load. Also I can't change my analysis type of seismic load case which is created such as other load cases DL, LL etc.. directly to seismic. It requires me to create new case definition in Analysis window in order to use Russian code. I hope you can help me with these issues. And sorry for bad grammar. 

thank you.

Message 10 of 16
okapawal

Sorry, in which program or add-in have you got this option "Create dynamic load cases from static one" ?

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 11 of 16
Max.Kotsar
in reply to: okapawal

Hi, Pawel!

okapawal написано:

Sorry, in which program or add-in have you got this option "Create dynamic load cases from static one" ?

I think, muhimdegil mean Lira 9.6  

Max Kotsar

Сообщение полезно - Проблема решена -
Message 12 of 16
aliyuaziz

Muhimdegil,

You can find tutorial on running a siesmic analysis here http://docs.autodesk.com/RSAPRO/2014/ENU/index.html?url=filesROBOT/GUID-8D0795BB-F68C-42A6-BE70-A1F7...

I trust this is helpful.

Best regards,

Aliyu A. Aziz

Message 13 of 16
e0325297

Hi @Max.Kotsar,

I have tried modelling the stairs the same way you did. However, upon running analysis, every node was instable. I tried solving the problem by adding columns and fixed supports at the base of the columns. However, it didn't help. May I know how do I solve this issue? Please see screenshot of the model for reference. 

e0325297_0-1629950553699.png

Message 14 of 16
SerhanB
in reply to: e0325297

İf there are instability errors at every node may be you should check if your materials and panel sections are defined and assigned correctly.
Serhan BAKIR
http://www.stand.com.tr/
Message 15 of 16
e0325297
in reply to: SerhanB

Hi @SerhanB,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

However, I still have some difficulty. I'm not sure what properties I should change to in order to define the material and panel correctly. Please see this hyperlink for the robot file.

Message 16 of 16
marcoymleung
in reply to: e0325297

Modelling using sloped and normal floors is correct.  Instability is due to missing bracing between pointed joints, unless you made them fixed joints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report