Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add column after the walls constructed

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Akunkinga
716 Views, 4 Replies

add column after the walls constructed

Hello

I have been given a copy of a the Architects model.

I now have to add structural elements.

What is the best way to proceed.

Should I add the structural elements inot the Architects model as it is

OR

do i make a copy of the model, delete what I do not need, add the steel structure, foundations etc and send my model back to the Architect??

Also

How do I add a column AFTER the walls are in place, ie my columns will be inside the wall.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gregamhale
in reply to: Akunkinga

The preferred workflow is for the structural engineer to have their own structural file.  That means that you'll start a new Revit file from a structural template and link in the architectural model.  You can then add the structural elements or copy/monitor them from the architectural file.  There should be certain elements that the structural engineer should only have in their model such as columns, beams, floors, foundations, etc.  Structural engineer should also control grid locations.  

You can add structural columns inside of walls without issue.  

See the following webpage for some guidance on the Architectural/Structural coordination workflow.

http://akn.autodesk.com/maps/ENU/252484992

Message 3 of 5
Akunkinga
in reply to: gregamhale

Thanks done that.

For some reason

I add grids on a floor level they look ok on all levels

except

I cannot see the grids in the new foundation level which I created

I notice the blue box around linked Arch model stops immediately below FFL and my foundation level is 1m below this is this why I cannot see the grids?

Message 4 of 5
Akunkinga

ALSO Do you mean the Architects walls and if so how do I do this:

You can then add the structural elements or copy/monitor them from the architectural file.   

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
gregamhale

For the grids, go to a section view or an elevation view, select a grid, then select the grip at the bottom of the grid and stretch it to below your lowest level.  The grids are 2dimensional planes that are vertical and exist in 3dimensional space.  They have to extend to the lowest and highest levels to show up in those plan views.

For the copy/monitor tool, I recommend only copying/monitoring the levels and grids.  All other structural elements can be made from scratch in your structural model.  Then just ask the architect to delete any duplicates and link your model in.  This process is a bit difficult to explain in the forum, you should read up on the subject.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report