Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4x2 Wood Floor Trusses

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jsr
Participant
8664 Views, 10 Replies

4x2 Wood Floor Trusses

Has anyone come across a family for a 4x2 wood floor truss (pictured)? 

One with wood webs - not the "TJL" version with the metal webs that comes with Revit. The TJL trusses are very hard (if not impossible) to even find. Maybe that part is a geographical thing (we are on the east coast: Virginia), but I'm even getting slim pickings when I Google TJL trusses so I'm doubting the geographical angle.

Does anyone have a clue why Revit Structure doesn't come with something as common as this, but does include a family for floor trusses that is all but obsolete? 

Thanks in advance!

WoodFloorTrusses.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
alan.quinn
in reply to: jsr

In the past when I needed a family I could not find I edited one the was close to suits my needs. I'm not sure if you need to analysis the structural abilities of the truss, but taking a standard Howe Flat Truss and editing will allow this. If you just need a family to represent a truss I can't imagine that it will take more than a few minutes to build a simply family.

Anyone have one built that you want to share?

Thanks for posting. 

Message 3 of 11
jsr
Participant
in reply to: alan.quinn

Seriously?!?  THAT is your reply?

I asked why you (Autodesk) DO include an obsolete family but DO NOT include one for a very common item.  You did not even approach my question, other than to offer a band-aid fix of using a Howe flat truss which is not even close to the same thing, which also leads me to believe that you don't have a good working knowledge of construction. 

A truss like this (including the Howe) is intended for roof construction & the members have the long side vertical, while a 4x2 floor truss has the long side of its members horizontal.  If you had construction experience, you would know this or would have at least seen the difference from the picture I posted, or possibly investigated before you posted your poor response.

Would you mind addressing my question about why you include an obsolete family but do not include one for a very common mode of construction? 

Please??

Message 4 of 11
MikeMaloney

Have you thought about contacting the Truss Man'f. to see if they have the Truss Series you Desire?  Just a thought.  Or maybe learning how to create one?  Again, just a thought.

Mike Maloney
BIM Design Automation Coordinator
CH2M Hill
Message 5 of 11
alan.quinn

To directly answer your question, we cannot add every element for every trade. Please use this link to provide feedback on content: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Thanks again,

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 11
Phileruplease

History

In 1958, Art Troutner and Boise native Harold “Red” Thomas first met. Troutner was already an accomplished inventor, architect and engineer, and Thomas was a traveling lumber salesman who had studied forestry at the University of Idaho. In 1960, the two joined forces to form a company to market and manufacture Troutner’s lightweight wood and steel composite Open-Web truss invention, which is the predecessor to the RedBuilt™ open-web trusses we continue to manufacture today.

In 2010, RedBuiltpurchased certain assets such as equipment, raw materials inventory and intellectual property from long-time competitor Standard Structures Inc.

Please check out the link below:

http://www.redbuilt.com/

Message 7 of 11
mariociaralli
in reply to: alan.quinn

@alan.quinn 

I'm sorry, but your second response was still a bit of a red herring.. you didnt address the OP question.  Logic would tell us that you (Autodesk) can't possibly provide all know construction details OOTB.  We get that - but the question remains, why include some things that are obsolete and of little use to the users at large, while omitting something as basic, and common place, as a proper open web floor truss.  We arent talking about a specialty item, or some one-off construction piece. 

@Phileruplease

A cursory search of your product / website doesnt yeild any BIM.  Did I miss something?

-Mario

Message 8 of 11
jsr
Participant
in reply to: mariociaralli

Thank you, Mario. As far as I know, the open web trusses that we're talking about are commonplace construction in most (if not all) parts of the country.

I also checked the redbuilt website & found nothing. If it was there, it was buried.
Message 9 of 11
mariociaralli

Attached a model family.. though I cant recall where I located it on the web.  Sufice to say, I cant take credit, other than editing the family to use 4x2 cord and web w/ the short dim in profile and the long dim in plan (flat 4x2 rather than one stood up)

Message 10 of 11

Attached a detail componenet (side profile) too.  Edited to show 4x2 top and bottom cord.  Original detail found here: http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-family-creation/6769-wood-floor-trusses-dummies.html#post5838...

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11
cekiert
in reply to: mariociaralli

Mario,

Do you know how to edit the family to change the size of the truss?  the truss i will be using is 22" deep.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report