Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 toposurface from civil 3D to Revit Structure

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kbarnettza
1909 Views, 4 Replies

2014 toposurface from civil 3D to Revit Structure

Revit Structure 2014

Is this procedure the best practice in version 2014?

To use a topo surface from Civil 3D:

* In C3D, display the surface using contours

* In C3D, extract the contours to 3d polylines and wblock the polys to a DWG

* In Revit, import the 3dpoly contour DWG

* In Revit, use Modify | Edit Surface tab, click Tools panel > Create From Import drop-down >Select Import Instance

Thx,

All the best to all - always,

Kevin.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: kbarnettza

Yes I believe it is so long as you either want a bloated surface due to excessive contour points or an inacurate surface due to Revits surface logic.

You would curently be better to use Civil3D for all things ground related and import surface faces "converted to regions" as a conceptual mass for greater accuracy in sections etc.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 5
piero.darteni
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Dear Mr Evans,

thank you for the precious info on this procedure.

As i am a fairly new user to Revit, would you mind explaining in a little bit more detail this procedure?

Thank you in advance

Piero Darteni

Message 4 of 5
kbarnettza
in reply to: piero.darteni

There is a new solution..

You need to be on subscription..

If you have the Infrastructure Design Suite 2014, you can now download the Bridge Modeller product enhancement.

This enhancement provides direct exchange of topo from Civil 3D to Revit - within the Suite.

Message 5 of 5
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: kbarnettza

The ISDS suite will only produce the same information as creation from points or 3d triangles from a drawing file so i wouldnt waste any time installing any more bloat ware.

The best solution currently avaliable is as I said to import the faces (converted to regions) as a conceptual mass object.

I'm afraid I do not use Revit but interact with my structral collegues who do. This is the best and most accurate method to section and display ground profiles. Really that's all you need to do in revit isn't it.

Watching others convert the object it seems a very quick and easy task, the hardest part being locating it after inserting. I recomend creating a 3d cube inserted on a grid intersection with the base elevation set to the FFL or a known datum.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report